Mar 19, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
Ryan Madson‘s comeback from Tommy John surgery was shut down for six weeks due to elbow soreness early in Angels camp and now, after finally doing some throwing again, he’s been shut down for a second time.
Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that Madson hasn’t thrown off a mound since Thursday, although manager Mike Scioscia called it “the normal progression of the final stages of rehab.”
Madson was unlikely to be ready for Opening Day even if he avoided another setback, but now that’s completely out the window and the Angels are looking at Ernesto Frieri as their closer for a while.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 55
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 211
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 160
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (210)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (100)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)