Mar 19, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
Ryan Madson‘s comeback from Tommy John surgery was shut down for six weeks due to elbow soreness early in Angels camp and now, after finally doing some throwing again, he’s been shut down for a second time.
Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that Madson hasn’t thrown off a mound since Thursday, although manager Mike Scioscia called it “the normal progression of the final stages of rehab.”
Madson was unlikely to be ready for Opening Day even if he avoided another setback, but now that’s completely out the window and the Angels are looking at Ernesto Frieri as their closer for a while.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 42
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)