Mar 19, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Ryan Madson‘s comeback from Tommy John surgery was shut down for six weeks due to elbow soreness early in Angels camp and now, after finally doing some throwing again, he’s been shut down for a second time.
Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that Madson hasn’t thrown off a mound since Thursday, although manager Mike Scioscia called it “the normal progression of the final stages of rehab.”
Madson was unlikely to be ready for Opening Day even if he avoided another setback, but now that’s completely out the window and the Angels are looking at Ernesto Frieri as their closer for a while.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)