Mar 19, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Ryan Madson‘s comeback from Tommy John surgery was shut down for six weeks due to elbow soreness early in Angels camp and now, after finally doing some throwing again, he’s been shut down for a second time.
Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that Madson hasn’t thrown off a mound since Thursday, although manager Mike Scioscia called it “the normal progression of the final stages of rehab.”
Madson was unlikely to be ready for Opening Day even if he avoided another setback, but now that’s completely out the window and the Angels are looking at Ernesto Frieri as their closer for a while.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 62
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 8
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 215
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (215)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)