Mar 19, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Scott Baker was sent for an MRI exam after experiencing elbow soreness during his ugly spring training debut yesterday and now the Cubs have shut his comeback from Tommy John surgery down.
Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com reports that the Cubs are “suspending Baker’s throwing program” and he’s scheduled to be examined further by the team doctor. For now he’s been diagnosed with elbow inflammation.
In other words … not good. Baker missed all of last season after undergoing surgery late in spring training and signed a one-year, $5.5 million contract that also includes up to $1.5 million in incentives.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)