Sorry, I don’t have to appreciate the way Josh Lueke has “persevered”

Mar 19, 2013, 10:30 AM EST

Josh Lueke

Rays’ reliever Josh Lueke was charged with rape, pleaded out to a lesser charge and did 42 days in prison. As far as I’m concerned he’s human garbage, even if some baseball teams think it’s worth still employing him because of his fastball (which hasn’t been able to get anyone out, but that’s another topic).

So forgive me if I’m not on board with a blog post, the premise of which is essentially “Josh Lueke may have raped someone but being good at baseball offers him redemption of some kind.”  Really:

You can hate Josh Lueke’s guts, but you have to appreciate the way he has persevered through the critical mistake he made and all the opportunities that have passed him by … as Lueke finds success for the first time at the major level, we’ll be captivated by his dominating arsenal, and justifiably or not, his past will be forgotten as Rays fans watch him help their team win games.

No, I don’t have to appreciate that at all.

As for the second part: sadly, yes, some people may forget that because as we’ve regrettably learned so often of late, it’s amazing what people will forget or even forgive if you happen to be good at sports. But the truth is that sports are not a vehicle for moral or ethical redemption. They are games, no more, no less, and the noise in the linked post is the logical extension of our society’s fetish for grafting narratives onto said games.

If there is such a thing as redemption for a rapist like Leuke, it comes via one’s acts in the real world. The price they pay. The things they learn. The efforts they make to redress the damage they’ve done and the efforts they make to prevent such damage from being done again. It is measured by the true character of the person, not their athletic accomplishments. I don’t know Lueke or anything else about him besides his rap sheet and his B-R.com page so I’m not the arbiter of his soul, conscience or ethical self, but I do know that flinging a baseball well or even being a good clubhouse citizen — something the author also gives Lueke credit for – is completely irrelevant with respect to that stuff.

As for the author: pro tip: if you ever are again inclined to write something which basically says “this guy may have raped someone but sports …” just stop. Please. Don’t even consider it.

119 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Ben - Mar 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Once again, The Onion cuts way too close to the bone, and shows why they might actually be one of the best publications in America.

College Basketball Star Heroically Overcomes Tragic Rape He Committed

• hammyofdoom - Mar 19, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Seriously, fuck this guy. I don’t know the facts of the case (and I’m not going to look them up, I have a weekly law class where rape is mentioned at least 2 times a day so I’m done with that thanks) but if this guy truly did what he was charged with he should never have been able to pick up a ball again. You can’t do smokeless tobacco because it’s gross and puts out a bad image for the youngsters, but you RAPE someone and you can play no big deal? Fuck that

• Ben - Mar 19, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Yeah, at the risk of endorsing collusion, I don’t get what this guy wasn’t blackballed. The facts of the case are pretty horrific.

• indaburg - Mar 19, 2013 at 12:39 PM

The victim, Lueke, and several ballplayers went bar-hopping, all of them reportedly drinking heavily. Eventually, they all ended up in Lueke’s apartment. The woman woke up the next with no recollection what happened, partially disrobed with the sense she had been violated. DNA swabs confirmed the presence of Lueke’s semen. He initially lied about any sexual contact, but later said that it was consensual and that he had denied it out of fear. Prosecutors determined that because of the drunkenness and lack of recollection by the victim. The victim supposedly gave her blessing to the lessor charge, but added that she wanted an apology, which he gave in court.

I am very heartened to see that so many of you agree that this is a rape, that the woman was not capable of consenting in her inebriated state. Not many men agree with all of you. What I just described happens a lot, and it rarely gets reported.

I was very disappointed that the Rays signed this guy, and I most certainly don’t respect his perseverance.

• baseballer28 - Mar 19, 2013 at 4:41 PM

What a piece of shit. I hope he gets annihilated by a ball back up the box that fractures his skull into a thousand little pieces. Fuck him and fuck the DA that plead him out. 42 days isn’t enough for a fucking rape, by any measure. This is what is wrong with our criminal justice system.

2. jarathen - Mar 19, 2013 at 10:39 AM

A way to earn my respect would be for him to give of his own free time and perhaps some of his money to educate and prevent the type of crime he basically admitted to. Not to go to his job.

• fanofevilempire - Mar 19, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I don’t get woman getting drunk out of their mind that they don’t have recollection of what is happening. Don’t get drunk and maybe this wouldn’t happen as much. I have no patience for
      people who want babysitters because they behave wreckless and get drunk.I don’t know what happened because I wasn’t there, and the woman doesn’t have any recollection because she wants to behave like a drunkard, get lost. I have no worries for this lady and the Indianapolis
      college student who went drinking and is missing, her parents want me to worry and look for her, why, I was home asleep while she was out drinking and believe me I have lost no sleep.

I don’t want anyone to say I have no compassion for rape victims, I do, rapist should have their penis chopped off if a conviction is confirmed. I view this as wreckless behavior by the woman and the men.

• Bill Parker - Mar 19, 2013 at 1:05 PM

oh dear god. This is just…I can’t. I’m done. Please don’t breed.

Also: *reckless.

• paperlions - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I’m just going to assume that you got really drunk and don’t remember posting this bullshit.

….and no, you don’t have any compassion, you are an ass.

• cur68 - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Lueke’s responsibility to respect her rights doesn’t stop because the lady’s drunk, asshole. If he’s drunk driving and runs over a drunk pedestrian, is it ok? Of course not. He shouldn’t have been driving AT ALL. It matters not one bit if she was drunk of sober: he’s got no business doing a damn thing to her without her consent and she was in no condition to be giving consent.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:14 PM

BY this logic if I run across someone drunk in an alley I may rob and stab them. Because it is their fault.

3. tfbuckfutter - Mar 19, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I will root for this guy every time he is on the mound.

To catch a line drive in the face, head, or groin.

Preferably the temple, but any of the three would be nice.

• historiophiliac - Mar 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Hello, Dickslayer…

• fanofevilempire - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:56 PM

cur68, you are a bigger ass!
        you are such a douche!

• jcmeyer10 - Mar 19, 2013 at 1:01 PM

One Verlander special coming right up.

• fanofevilempire - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Bill, I hope you get raped by four guys for your
        reckless behavior of correcting my spelling, that would be so funny!

Dude, don’t be the spell check police, that guy is a nerd.

• fanofevilempire - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I don’t give a shite what you fellas say because I’m not responsible for any drunk people!
      I don’t have to pretend like you they all were not drunk, they were, I was home sleeping.
      I guess I must now worry with adults behaving how they want, why was she bar hoping?
      I didn’t tell her get drunk and hang out with four guys.
      I guess I have to sit at home and worry about all the drunk people and what trouble they get into.
      I guess I should worry about a girl in Ohio who doesn’t remember what happened to her because she was drunk.
      I will lose no sleep tonight about any of these people, you fellas go out and protect drunk people from themselves.
      what a bunch of jokers!

• fanofevilempire - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Parker, what two dogs had you, jackass!

• cur68 - Mar 19, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, “fanofevilempire” has lost whatever shit he had. Lets just leave this clearly deranged dunderhead alone, eh? Its wrong to mock the mentally ill.

• fanofevilempire - Mar 19, 2013 at 4:44 PM

ladies and gentleman cur68 is ass, he proves it over and over on a regular basis.

• cur68 - Mar 19, 2013 at 4:45 PM

There, there. Take your medicine and go lie down somewhere dark and cool for a bit, eh?

• indaburg - Mar 19, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Valentine special, coming right up.

4. js20011041 - Mar 19, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Well said Craig. I couldn’t agree more.

5. charlescub80 - Mar 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I guess Robbie is saying he appreciates a piece of garbage that is acting like a normal human being. I think most people will also disagree with this.

• fanofevilempire - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM

paperlions, go screw yourself idiot!

• historiophiliac - Mar 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM

^^fanboy

6. jm91rs - Mar 19, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Wow, there is very little actual information about that case in the article. Tough to write an article on a rapist while only giving a sentence or two to the rape, but somehow Robbie Knopf just did it.

I was trying to read if maybe there was some question about whether or not he actually did it (pleading to something does not mean he did it, as often the lawyer just says “look, you’re going to lose, take the plea”). I was expecting a Brian Banks type story where the guy is innocent and had his life taken away because someone lied, but nope. Just “this guy is an ok pitcher. glad he was able to move on from that rape thing he did”.

Sad. Move him to the NL so someone can bean him a few times.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 19, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Nope. No way it wasn’t him since an anal swab of the victim had his DNA on it.

It’s absolutely amazing that he got away with pleading to false imprisonment and violence and only did 42 days.

• fanofevilempire - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:06 PM

The only detail is everyone is drunk and she had no recollection of what happened and the accused semen was present, but I guess that was my fault for encouraging her to bar hop
      and hook up with four men she never met before because this is the new normal behavior
      for woman, it happened in Ohio and Indiana.

I guess it is my duty now to protect all drunk woman who hang out with four strange men she picked up at a bar.

I wonder if I should protect Lil Wayne too, surzurp is his choice to get intoxicated.

• historiophiliac - Mar 19, 2013 at 4:52 PM

To clarify, you don’t have license to rape Weezy either.

7. ncm42 - Mar 19, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Amen Craig. Well said. And you too, mr Buckfutter.

8. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 19, 2013 at 10:49 AM

his past will be forgotten as Rays fans watch him help their team win games.

If this actually happens, there’s isn’t something wrong with Leuke, there is something wrong with all of us.

9. brazcubas - Mar 19, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Also, he did not commit a mistake, he committed a deliberate act and then lied to the police about it. Would be nice if folks would stop minimizing or dismissing sexual assault just because it wasn’t done at knife point by some shady character wearing a mask.

10. jimmymarlinsfan - Mar 19, 2013 at 10:52 AM

What if he is involved in the community to try to make amends for his shameful past? Just saying it is possible

• oasiserfede - Mar 19, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Possible, yes. But that really wasn’t the point of Mr. Knopf’s article, was it?

• rmday77 - Mar 19, 2013 at 1:00 PM

That would be great. But the story isn’t “Josh Lueke spends time & money supporting sexual assault crisis centres because he feels genuinely terrible about what he did.”

It says, quite literally, “The Better Rays’ Josh Lueke Pitches, The More His Checkered Past Is Pushed Aside.”

11. danindelray - Mar 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Also, the blog author wrote

“he has been locating his pitches as good as ever”

when he meant to write ” … as well as ever.”

Seriously though, where does the author bring in ‘redemption’ in this tale of a man who pled guilty and served his time and is trying to pursue a career at what is probably the only thing he does … well? There is no talk of redemption, only the completely honest and accurate assessment that if he pitches well for the Rays, fans will cheer him

Or do we think that more than a handful of Rays fans will think “Here comes the rapist. I hope he gives up a home run, the f-ing bastard.”

People who do their time are entitled to go on with their lives. Its the same reason I supported Mike Vick’s return, and that was despite the fact that I am a lifelong dog lover who was completely appalled at what he did. But he did his time and should be allowed to resume his life and his livelihood.

• geoknows - Mar 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Fine. Yeah. I don’t have a problem with that. But we don’t have to admire him for it. Or appreciate his perseverence. Or write articles in praise of him.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Mar 19, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Vick should be allowed to resume his life and livlhood, as should Lueke and Ray Lewis…..and all the others. But I am sorry, in much the same way I do not give Jonathan Papalbohn “credit” for not commiting a rape, I am not going to do the same for Leueke. Ditto Vick and all the others.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 19, 2013 at 11:48 AM

There’s a difference between paying your debt to the legal system (which he didn’t do) and paying your debt to the public.

He doesn’t have a right to not be judged by the public. Nor does Michael Vick. If they don’t want people to hate them for their actions, that is too bad. No one owes them forgiveness. And if they don’t like being judged they should keep themselves out of the public eye.

Read about what happened to the director of Powder. He deserves to have people protesting his movies because he’s a child rapist. People shouldn’t just let it go. The public should be made aware of what they are supporting.

If Garry Sanduskey somehow lived out his sentence, does he deserve to return to coaching because he “paid his debt” and everyone should leave him alone?

Some crimes there is no reparations for in the public eye.

• yahmule - Mar 24, 2013 at 11:56 AM

This is such bullshit. There are countless professions you would be unable to resume after being convicted of specific felonies. Professional sports leagues don’t have such restrictions because they don’t want to have them.

12. illadelphiasphinest - Mar 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM

How about Donte Stallworth killing a man while driving drunk in Miami a few years ago and only serving a few weeks in prison. HE KILLED SOMEONE!!! Its a sad fact that athletes and actors get such lax punishments for their crimes.

• jm91rs - Mar 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Anyone with money really. A good lawyer can do wonders.

• jholls3 - Mar 19, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Here is hoping Karma catches up with Josh the way it did with Stallworth…. hot air balloon ride Josh?

13. DelawarePhilliesFan - Mar 19, 2013 at 10:58 AM

This is the part that always kills me – and it gets said for every lowlife playing in pro-sports:

“Since his arrest, Lueke has stayed out of trouble and has never been regarded as a problem in any clubhouse he has been in.”

Really? He hasn’t been arrested or commited another rape in 5 years?? WOW!! Last time I checked…..that puts him the same category as the other 223 Major League Relievers.

The sad spetacle is that WAYYYYYY to many people accept that playing a pro sport and not getting arrested means the original crime never was commited. See every article about Ray Lewis that does not condmen as eveidence (he knows damn well who commited that murder)

14. jhorton83 - Mar 19, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Just goes to show that some sports writers will use the cliched “feel-good, overcoming the odds” boilerplate for anything. Even for being a rapist.

15. randygnyc - Mar 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Hey danindelray- when he actually does some time for his crime, he’ll be allowed and will deserve an opportunity to proceed with his life. By any measure, 42 days for the most heinous of crimes, is not justice, regardless what the “system” says.

• danindelray - Mar 19, 2013 at 12:13 PM

“Justice” is a highly malleable term. Judging from the vast majority of comments here, “justice” is only served by the eternal, permanent condemnation of an appalled nation.

What is undeniably true is that his crime was ajudicated by the justice system. 42 days was served.

He absolutely has paid his debt to society, whether you think its “justice” or not.

• Bill Parker - Mar 19, 2013 at 12:31 PM

What an incredibly silly thing to say. If you’re going to recognize a thing as amorphous as a “debt to society,” you can’t seriously think it can be dictated by the terms of a plea deal to a reduced charge after it seemed pretty clear that he’d committed the more serious crime. If he did what it sure looks a lot like he did, his “debt to society” was a lot more than 42 days.

• randygnyc - Mar 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM

That’s what we are talking about here, right? Acceptance and forgiveness. He’s got the legal right to be free and to work. But as members of a civil and free society, each member holds the right on how we view his crimes and whether or not we should accept him back into our society. That his sentence was adjudicated poorly, in the minds of most posters here, makes it clear that his debt to society has yet to be paid. Absent that payment, he will always be viewed as the one who got away with a most horrific crime. With that said, I personally feel its encumber upon Rays fans in particular, to let the Rays hear their displeasure. Just as this Yankee fan would if he (or guys like Delmon young) were on my team.

16. jessethegreat - Mar 19, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Dudes just lucky I am not the rape VICTIM’s father. No way in hell even the best of surgeons would have been able to remove the batt and bucket of balls from his ass.

Does he even have to register as a sex offender?

Though there are other trouble makers in sports all across our country, I’d really like to see other teams blackball him and force the commish’s hand by taking a stand against him.

17. Brandon Warne - Mar 19, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Would it be ironic if the writer was forced to write that (from his editor, or whatever), or is irony not a strong enough word?

• Brandon Warne - Mar 19, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Actually, excuse me for not wanting to give him a click-through, but I’m guessing it isn’t an outlet with any sort of editorial presence.

18. tfbuckfutter - Mar 19, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I will say one of the reasons I like HBT better than PFT is not one single person had said “What about personal responsibility? If she didn’t want a penis in her butt while she was puking in a toilet maybe she should have thought about that before getting wasted and slutting it up.”

19. randygnyc - Mar 19, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I wonder how the melody goes for the tune this author would be singing if the victim here was his wife, mother or daughter.

20. pftbillsfan - Mar 19, 2013 at 11:58 AM

That was nice of his agent to write that article. What a schmuck.

21. darthicarus - Mar 19, 2013 at 12:17 PM

But guys he’s an ATHLETE!!!!! and a shitty human being, a liar, and another glaring example of what’s wrong with people today. He’s a victim of his own stupidity, arrogance, and worthlessness.

Screw him.

22. misterchainbluelightning - Mar 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Guy was not convicted of yet he’s being called a rapist repeatedly. Good journalism as usual.

So why wasn’t he charged with Rape?

Ohhhh right because the victim was wasted and making out with several men at the bar that same night, left the bar wasted with TWO men to go back to their place. She puked and remembers Nothing until the next day.

But what would prosecutors know right?

Bravo in excluding every bit of context on this hatchet job blog

• Kevin S. - Mar 19, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Hey, were you on CNN talking about the Steubenville trial yesterday?

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 19, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Read the link I posted above.

Also, it’s nice to see the victim-blaming crowd is gearing up.

But here’s a fact dummy….rape exists when sexual conduct isn’t consensual….a drunk person, by definition, cannot give consent.

It’s the same reason contracts can be voided if intoxication occurs.

So the fact that she doesn’t remember….is proof of the rape. Because the prosecutors decided to plea, as they often do in an overcrowded judicial system, doesn’t change the fact that there was no consent, he lied to the police and said there was no sexual contact, and his DNA was found in her body.

• misterchainbluelightning - Mar 19, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Something something that doesn’t prove anything? Something something the law didn’t charge him with rape?
        Something something the victim can’t say yes or no as to whether or not consent was given.
        Something something it wouldn’t be the first time someone was falsely accused of rape and therefore we as a society require things called evidence and proof?

Something something LOL at the idea person can call rape anytime they are drunk since it’s so cut and dry as you suggest. Drunk = can’t give consent.

Which brings us back to the whole idea that…..he wasn’t convicted of rape.
        I guess the crown is just softies on rapists, that or they lacked the evidence to call it rape.

But don’t let that stop you from calling someone a rapist. It didn’t stop this chick I know calling a buddy of mine a rapist after she totally gave consent one drunken night and afterwards became spiteful because she was a crazy and he called her a slut.

Laws, they are funny things huh?

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 19, 2013 at 12:52 PM

So this unintelligible post was just a rambling way of telling us you have a friend who is also a rapist?

• Bill Parker - Mar 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM

he was very much “charged with rape,” just by the by.

• misterchainbluelightning - Mar 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Oh sorry charged but not convicted, lol if that somehow makes you feel better

• Bill Parker - Mar 19, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I mean, it makes a difference that there was enough evidence to charge him with the crime. A plea bargain is not a declaration of innocence.

• misterchainbluelightning - Mar 19, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I’d like to think prosecutors dislike rapists and want to send them to prison for a long time.
        I’d like to think if they don’t try to send you to prison for a long time, they themselves have doubt in their ability to prove it.

Again, call me crazy, and call people not convicted of rape, rapists. In fact call anyone accused, but never convicted, guilty of the crime they were not convicted of, it’s brilliant stuff, truly.

• Bill Parker - Mar 19, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I’d like to think a lot of things that, unfortunately, I’ve seen enough to know aren’t true (or at least are much, much more complicated than that).

• historiophiliac - Mar 19, 2013 at 12:57 PM

You’d like to think that, but that does not make it true.

• historiophiliac - Mar 19, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Sorry for the duplication, Mr. Parker.

• brazcubas - Mar 19, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Acquaintance rape charges often turn into credibility battles of he said/she said, and these favor the perpetrator, not the victim. As an example see your rationalization above:

“But you keep calling him a rapist, no doubt it NEVER could have happened that she in her drunken state gave consent to two other drunk people.”

Since she passed out after puking in the bathroom, and only remembers waking up with half her clothes missing, there’s no way she could say she never explicitly denied consent. Kuele could simply had said that she consented, but instead he lied to the police about having any sexual contact with her. None of this proves rape, of course, but the prosecutors have surely had faced plenty of he said/she said scenarios before, and certainly knew they had an uphill battle. They decided to plead out the case, rather than put the victim through a trial that they might end up losing because the defense made her out to be a whore.

If you still doubt that the perpetrators have the upper hand in cases like these, see the comment made by the judge after sentencing the Steubenville rapists, he admonished their peers to be careful of how they use social media (i.e. don’t brag about your rapes on twitter), as opposed to simply saying “don’t rape, and you don’t have to worry about pictures of you raping someone appearing on instagram.”

23. Francisco (FC) - Mar 19, 2013 at 12:30 PM

How does a guy like that only get 42 days? How the devil does the prosecution agree to that? I can only think that the defense threatened to bring up the woman’s behavior during trial and point out the possibility that she had actually consented to sex and only that she drank so heavily she doesn’t remember it and now she’s claiming rape. It would render forensics evidence meaningless because you’re not saying they didn’t have sex, you’re claiming it was consensual but that the victim doesn’t recall.

That’s the best I can think of that would convince a prosecutor to not go guns blazing against this guy, that he might lose the case against the Jury with a story like that.

• Francisco (FC) - Mar 19, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Answering my own question: as pointed out in an above post, a drunk state cannot be used to side step the consensual issue. So…. what the hell prosecutors?!?!?!?

• cur68 - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:45 PM

The toll on the victim is horrendous in this kind of trial. Its likely that she didn’t want to go through all of that. I imagine she feels pretty bad about herself as it is. Imagine how much worse it would be if this all became a huge trial with her entire sexual history on display. You can bet the defence would do that, too. They almost always do.

24. drewsylvania - Mar 19, 2013 at 1:16 PM

The linked blogger is trolling.

25. drewsylvania - Mar 19, 2013 at 1:24 PM

The problem with saying that Lueke was never “convicted” of rape is that pretty much everyone believes he did it. There’s plenty more online about it than just wikipedia, but here’s this tidbit:

“While in the Rangers organization Lueke was arrested following a May 2008 incident and charged with having committed rape and non-consensual sodomy. During the investigation Lueke lied to the police by denying he had sexual contact with the victim (an assertion proven false by DNA testing), and he pled no contest to lesser charges of false imprisonment with violence and was sentenced to 42 days in jail, time served prior to making bail.[4]”

Again, there’s plenty more details online if you want to look for them.

The criminal justice system is fallible, folks. If you want to determine guilt, the best thing you can do is read up on details of the case and come up with your own conclusion.

After doing so myself, I come to the conclusion that this guy is Ray Lewis or OJ. He’s probably committed to finding the real rapists.

• drewsylvania - Mar 19, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Also, look here: http://bgawball.wordpress.com/2010/09/15/josh-lueke/

and here: http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/48562782.html

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5146)