Mar 20, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Cardinals prospect Carlos Martinez has missed the entirety of spring training and remains stuck in the Dominican Republic because he hasn’t been cleared for a work visa.
Not only did it cost Martinez a chance to impress the coaching staff in major-league camp, Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch writes that whenever he does arrive in the United States he’ll likely be so far behind other pitchers that he won’t be ready to begin the season in the minors.
According to Goold he’s been working out, but isn’t on a formal throwing program and there’s still no timetable for when the work visa will be approved despite MLB’s involvement in the process. Apparently changing his name from Carlos Matias to Carlos Martinez when he signed with the Cardinals in 2009 has come up as a red flag now.
Baseball America rated the 21-year-old right-hander as a top-40 prospect this year and last year.
May 5, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT
Nick Swisher has made it back from a pair of knee surgeries.
May 5, 2015, 2:32 PM EDT
As far as silly injuries go slicing your hand open while reaching for some shampoo in the shower is pretty bad.
May 5, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
It’s just “informed speculation” at the moment. But the speculator tends to be pretty well-informed.
May 5, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Speedy trials, my foot.
May 5, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Pedro Martinez says his Red Sox teams led the league in hugs, handshakes and bad hair. Sounds like they led the league in being buck naked too.
May 5, 2015, 12:25 PM EDT
Miami cut Saltalamacchia loose with about $15 million remaining on a three-year, $21 million deal signed last offseason.
May 5, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
The Brewers’ catcher is on a team-friendly deal and is viewed as a cornerstone of the franchise.
May 5, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
May 5, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
“Until he gets into a game situation and feels confident with the leg, we’re not going to know.”
May 5, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
GM says Hamilton “seems to be 100 percent” healthy.
May 5, 2015, 9:41 AM EDT
He’s also struck out ten times over that span, so he’s becoming Dave Kingman I guess.
May 5, 2015, 9:24 AM EDT
With an interesting twist above the left field wall
May 5, 2015, 8:40 AM EDT
May 5, 2015, 7:18 AM EDT
An old friend returns to the site of his greatest triumphs.
May 4, 2015, 11:25 PM EDT
The Astros hadn’t lost a game since April 22.
May 4, 2015, 10:43 PM EDT
Ramirez suffered the injury when he ran into the wall along the left-field line while attempting to make a catch.
May 4, 2015, 10:13 PM EDT
Anthony Rendon’s long road back from a left knee sprain has hit a roadblock due to an oblique strain.
May 4, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Jeff Karstens hasn’t appeared in the majors since 2012 due to injury and today he took to Instagram to announce his retirement from baseball.
May 4, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
Jackson sprained his ankle during Sunday’s game and will require an extended absence.
May 4, 2015, 7:34 PM EDT
MLB brought the hammer down really hard on Blue Jays hitting coach Brook Jacoby for an incident with the umpiring crew while the team was in Boston last week.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 56
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 95
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)