Mar 20, 2013, 4:03 PM EDT
That’s quoted from Andrew Marchand’s column taking issue with Cowherd. Who, by the way, is also paid by ESPN, so it’s a rare and interesting case of ESPN-on-ESPN criticism. In this case completely warranted.
Cano plays 160 games a year. When he was younger I seem to remember an instance in which Joe Torre benched him for dogging it once, but I can’t recall a single instance since then. The guy plays hard. The guy plays well. To suggest otherwise like Cowherd is here is indicative of some combination of baseball ignorance, a misunderstanding of the differences between the WBC and major league baseball and/or casual racism, the kind of which always seems to find black or Latin players to be slackers at some point or another.
But then again, it’s Colin Cowherd we’re talking about here, so whatever it is, it’s calculated to get people talking about Colin Cowherd. In which case, well played, dude. As if that sort of thing is supposed to justify your stupidity.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)