Colin Cowherd: “Robinson Cano plays a lot harder in those [WBC] games than he does for the Yankees”

Mar 20, 2013, 4:03 PM EDT

Robinson Cano Reuters

That’s quoted from Andrew Marchand’s column taking issue with Cowherd. Who, by the way, is also paid by ESPN, so it’s a rare and interesting case of ESPN-on-ESPN criticism. In this case completely warranted.

Cano plays 160 games a year. When he was younger I seem to remember an instance in which Joe Torre benched him for dogging it once, but I can’t recall a single instance since then. The guy plays hard. The guy plays well. To suggest otherwise like Cowherd is here is indicative of some combination of baseball ignorance, a misunderstanding of the differences between the WBC and major league baseball and/or casual racism, the kind of which always seems to find black or Latin players to be slackers at some point or another.

But then again, it’s Colin Cowherd we’re talking about here, so whatever it is, it’s calculated to get people talking about Colin Cowherd. In which case, well played, dude. As if that sort of thing is supposed to justify your stupidity.

1. kinggw - Mar 20, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Apparently yankees fans are the only ones who can recognize when a player hustles or not.

2. hojo20 - Mar 20, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Cano dogs it.

• GoneYickitty - Mar 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Not sure what Craig is watching, but Cano isn’t a guy that’s exactly busting it out there over the course of the season. I like Cano and I absolutely loath Cowherd (if I hear his voice I’ll change the station), but in this case, the obnoxious radio jock has a point. Not everyone is made the same and not everyone can maintain the Pete Rose mentality of going all out all the time all the time. There is no perfect player and I would take Cano and his faults over any other second baseman right now, but he can be a bit lazy.

• scoocha - Mar 22, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Exactly. The guy is a tremendous talent but seriously Craig, what games are you watching? He never runs hard to first – i.e. he dogs it!

3. jtorrey13 - Mar 20, 2013 at 7:37 PM

As far as I can tell from comments, you’re only playing hard if you dive for balls and sprint to first. There is no consideration taken into account of hard hit balls on either side. If the 2B has the ball before you’re halfway up the line, running and pulling a ligament is a great idea against major league fielders that don’t often hurry and make errors. Why not jam a wrist diving for a ball that you can probably tell is out of your reach since you’ve played an average of at least 160 games a year for the past 6 years (not counting spring training and post season)?

I tell you what. I’m sure the Cardinals would trade Pete Kozma for Robinson Cano. He hustles to first and gets dirty, just don’t make any noise as he heads for long fly balls. I also bet the Dodgers would trade Nick Punto and his shredding dirty jersey ways for Cano. Would you Yankee fans make those deals? I bet the Cards and Dodgers could throw in some free grit if you’d like.

4. hitdog042 - Mar 20, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Since when does Colin Cowherd know anything. He’s just a dude w a show.

• gloccamorra - Mar 20, 2013 at 8:38 PM

He’s demonstrating how and why he got the show. Controversy!! Nothing personal, you understand, but what sells is, Controversy!!

• jarathen - Mar 21, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Most ESPN shows are about saying things that could pass for bold if they were even half-true.

5. yousuxxors - Mar 20, 2013 at 8:30 PM

didnt cano win a gold glove last year.

6. peopletrains - Mar 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Cowherd is an idiot.

7. soobster - Mar 20, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Cano does dog it lol a lot actually. love the guy overall but he’s not the most intense player on the Yankees.

And cowherd is a gigantic Yankees fan. I got to meet him when he did his campus tour a few years back and came by UGA. During the breaks he made it known that he loves the Yankees.

8. mudhead123 - Mar 20, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Obviously this was written by a liberal. Bringing race into an opinion of a baseball player?

• jm91rs - Mar 20, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Thank you! Exactly right. You know what, I loved Pete rose’s effort but sometimes I think Brandon Phillips needs to hustle down the line more. I must be a racist for saying such a thing. Low class Craig.

• genericcommenter - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:39 AM

It’s just an obvious observation. Crappy white guys are always “scrappy” hustlers who try hard, but Black/Latin players who consistently perform as top players in the whole league are knocked for not hustling enough.. where have you been?

• mrredlegz - Mar 23, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Amen.

9. skipcastaneda - Mar 20, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Colin Cowherd is a fucking CUNT! He’s another reason why I hate ESPN. He’s just another self absorbed asshole at that network. Thank God for CBS Sports Radio and Fox Sports.

• chill1184 - Mar 20, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Like CBS and Fox are any better, the mainstream sports media is nothing but a joke. They’re good at cheerleading and nothing more

10. jm91rs - Mar 20, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I think you’re getting so many comments approving of your disdain for cowherd, but everyone is skipping over your racism comment. That’s ridiculous to suggest that because cowherd thinks cano is dogging it that he’s being racist.

Low class journalism right there Craig. Until cowherd says something racist (and if he has, give an example), calling him racist is absurd and filthy.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:14 AM

You must be new here. Tip for you, do a good search on this website and subconscious racism, and note all the times that Latino/Black players have been referred to as either lazy/dogging it or considered smooth, then note all the times white players have been referred to as gritty. Then try to find the opposite instances and realize that those are all types of subconscious racism.

As for Cowherd, himself, being a racist find the video of him going after the Wizard’s John Wall for lack of “intelligence”.

• ryanrockzzz - Mar 21, 2013 at 6:59 AM

I agree that many times players are unfairly accused of things, but it’s a two way street. All of this is a matter of opinion. You can cherrypick any sort of article out there to support that this instance was a subconscious racism example, but it’s mearly opinion. Maybe Cowheard just hates Cano the player, or maybe he really does feel he hustles more in the WBC. Those are all just as rational. Now if your opinion is one that he racism is an option, it’s jus that, opinion.

There are no facts that this was related to that at all. Unless you use that John Wall thing, which once again, has no mention of a racist remark. I hate Cowheard, and all of those talking heads out there now, but there’s not proof for racism here.

Also, if you follow sports and want an opposite example, just look at the Ryan Swope case at the NFL combine. White reciever who gets profiled by NFL.com as being “slow” despite running a 4.3 40. Also, there were many other generic “white” or “black” comments listed under lesser known players under their profiles, simply becuase of skin color. That to be seems to support a subconscious racism theory, not this.

• jm91rs - Mar 21, 2013 at 8:32 AM

You’re right, I’m pretty new here. Not new to the world, where I can rightfully criticize an athlete black/white/latino/anything for lack of effort. I can give you examples of any race dogging it, and it absolutely is not a form of racism.

But yeah I’m new here. I’m only hoping that once actual baseball starts I won’t have to sift through so many articles of Craig giving his opinion of other people’s opinions on baseball. You know, real baseball stories and news are what I’m into.

• mrredlegz - Mar 23, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Subconscious racism? Give me a fucking break. Fully-consciuous paranoia, methinks.

11. thomas844 - Mar 20, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Colin Cowherd makes Skip Bayless seem like a competent journalist.

12. bobby61278 - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:48 AM

JCraig,
    You’re an idiot. Your self-righteousness is out of control. Casual accusations of racism should be grounds for dismissal. You’re the worst writer consistently on NBC S.T. Your baseball knowledge is minimal, and I can tell by your lack of understanding that you never played the game. Someone, please fire this moron.

• dprat - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Who?

• micksmantle - Mar 21, 2013 at 5:31 AM

He does this all the time, he is a total joke. I remember the first time I ever saw a picture of Calcaterra I cracked up and just thought: That is exactly how I pictured someone who attempted to write about baseball as pathetically as he does to look. He draws attention to himself whenever he can by accusing people of racism, homophobia, bigotry, you name it. He almost shat himself when the Braves considered putting the laughing Indian on their spring training hat. Well, on the bright side, it’s not like knowledgeable baseball fans tune in to the guy to get his perspective on anything. He is a liberal, attention drawing, wanna be baseball writer who is irrelevant as far as real journalism goes. He couldn’t get hired by anything but NBC. If he applied to mlbtraderumors they would laugh at him and give him the contact info of someone at the ACLU or something.

• prospero63 - Mar 21, 2013 at 8:33 AM

He’s got nothing on Florio. At least here they let you comment. Disagree with or take exception with Florio (merely mentioning his name is often enough) and they pull the comments. So in addition to yellow journalism, they then skew the perception by censoring all opposing views. Like I said, at least at HBT they let the comments stay…

13. therealtrenches - Mar 21, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Cano loafs like Randy Moss; he’s that rare talent who can loaf AND put up numbers.

But Calciaterra on Cowherd = troll on troll crime.

Craig regurgitates the hard work of other journalists, while frequently failing to cite them, and occasionally adds some insight of his own (and yes, he often fails to see need to provide his readers w/ context, and when they complain about it, he accuses them of being casual baseball fans). He has a snall passel of sycophantic commenters who’s panties bunch at the first sign that readers disagree with him; tgey may just be screen names that Craig uses to defend himself, however. So as far as sports journalism goes, he’s about as low as it gets. But the fact is, most of you wouldn’t even know about this if it wasn’t for Craig doing his job.

Cowherd has his own radio show on espn, where he states his own original ideas verbally, rather than having the luxury of deliberating before a keyboard while googling his topics.

I don’t always agree w/ cowherd and I find his corporate cubicle non-sports guy take on most things pretty lame (and Craig, you can borrow that for future posts if you want; just cite me, okay?), but he is one of the more socially aware people in sports talk, about as far from racist as you can get.

So I’m gonna take cowherd’s side on this one.

14. bfriley76 - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:47 AM

In the last three seasons, while missing a total of 6 games, Robinson Cano has averaged right around a 7 WAR. As a Yankee fan, I’ll take that type of “dogging it” any day of the week.

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3382)