Mar 20, 2013, 2:40 PM EST
Hanley Ramirez is headed for an MRI exam on the thumb injury he suffered in the World Baseball Classic title game, so the Dodgers will have a clearer picture of his status tomorrow.
In the meantime manager Don Mattingly indicated the early word on Ramirez is that he’ll miss at least two weeks and could miss 8-10 weeks in a worst-case scenario.
Either way he’s now a long shot to be in the lineup on Opening Day, which is less than two weeks away.
Dee Gordon is currently sidelined by an ankle injury of his own, so Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times writes that the likely Ramirez fill-in would be Luis Cruz. At least assuming it’s a short-term injury rather than the two-month version. As for who would play third base if Cruz shifted to shortstop, Nick Punto and Jerry Hairston Jr. could split time and … well, Juan Uribe is still getting paid to do something.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)