Mar 20, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Ian Stewart has been out since mid-February with a quadriceps injury and now the Cubs third baseman has been ruled out for Opening Day.
This offseason the Cubs non-tendered the arbitration eligible Stewart and then re-signed him to a one-year, $2 million deal. Similar to what the Tigers did with Brennan Boesch last week, they could release Stewart and save all but $500,000 of that money, but Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune expects the Cubs to stick with him.
Stewart hit just .201 with five homers and a .627 OPS in 55 games for the Cubs last year, missing most of the season with a wrist injury that required surgery, and was even worse for the Rockies in 2011. Luis Valbuena is slated to be the Cubs’ starting third baseman.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 3
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)