Mar 20, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
This might be the end of the line for Chone Figgins.
First he was released by the Mariners, who chose to eat $8 million rather than keep him around for another season, and now the Marlins have released him as well.
If you can’t secure a bench spot as a veteran player with defensive versatility on what may prove to be the worst team in the entire league where do you have left to go? Other than the minors, I suppose.
Incidentally, it’s sad to think about how many photos will always exist of veteran players wearing uniforms of teams that released them in spring training. Figgins on the Marlins, Ronny Cedeno on the Cardinals, Bobby Crosby on the Brewers, Matt Diaz on the Yankees. And that’s just this week.
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 2
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 54
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 63
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)