Marlins release Chone Figgins

Mar 20, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT

Chone Figgins AP

This might be the end of the line for Chone Figgins.

First he was released by the Mariners, who chose to eat $8 million rather than keep him around for another season, and now the Marlins have released him as well.

If you can’t secure a bench spot as a veteran player with defensive versatility on what may prove to be the worst team in the entire league where do you have left to go? Other than the minors, I suppose.

Incidentally, it’s sad to think about how many photos will always exist of veteran players wearing uniforms of teams that released them in spring training. Figgins on the Marlins, Ronny Cedeno on the Cardinals, Bobby Crosby on the Brewers, Matt Diaz on the Yankees. And that’s just this week.

1. senioreditor2 - Mar 20, 2013 at 4:30 PM

PED’s during his last contract year? Maybe, who knows? But he wasn’t 1/10th of the player in Seattle that he was in Anaheim.

• asimonetti88 - Mar 20, 2013 at 4:52 PM

His numbers in his contract year were pretty in line with the rest of his career as a full-time player with the Angels. I think age had something to do with it, and the ballpark at Safeco isn’t made for everyone.

• pauleee - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Must EVERYTHING be PED related? All players lose it at the end, so by your rationale, they must all be using.

I’ve always said it’s the pressure of the big contract, and the higher expectations from the (new) organization and fanbase. Hey, he’d better be good, look at all the money they’re paying him, right? Couple that with the switch in position (went to 2nd base, played primarily at 3rd for the Angels), started slow and never kicked it into gear. Kinda sad, always liked him with the Halos. Even the wife liked him, she always commented that he looked like he should be sucking on his mitt (thought he had a baby-face, which made her think of Little League).

// RIP, funny man

2. yahmule - Mar 20, 2013 at 4:47 PM

No, just the awesome power of Zduriencik.

3. turdfurgerson68 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:20 PM

The Angels more than made up for his departure by trading for…Vernon Wells.

4. randygnyc - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Sorry, I tried. And tried some more. Can’t seem to harness any sadness for Chone. See, he played MLB. For a long time. Is being paid 8 MILLION DOLLARS, for this year alone, of which he will no longer even be required to show up to collect. He’s a young man, who if he isn’t a complete moron, is in control of generational wealth. And, he’s healthy. Just checked again, but alas, can not locate this misplaced sadness.

• lostsok - Mar 21, 2013 at 8:46 AM

You must have never played sports with any great passion. Sure, it’s great for him that–if he’s prudent–he’s not going to worry about money. Who wouldn’t want that?

But his dream of being a big league player, that he achieved and even excelled at for a while, has come to an ugly, embarrassing, humbling end.

I’m sorry, but that’s really, really sad.

5. mscott4 - Mar 20, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I could have told you that. I just finished my first season in the minors on MLB The Show ’13 and it said he retired at the end of 2013 due to lack of interest. Can you believe the Cubs traded me to the A’s while I was batting .475 with 42 dingers in July for AA Tennessee? And they only got one no name prospect for me. Crazy. I’m not sure what to think about Epstoyer anymore. I will say the Midland Rockhounds have a much better stadium than the Smokies though.

• dondada10 - Mar 20, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Don’t stress it. I had thrown 40 innings for the Savannah Sand Gnats with 57 k’s and 4 walks and Sandy Alderson traded me to the Royals for a bunch of nothing.

• mscott4 - Mar 20, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I thought about retiring right then and there before having to suffer through 81 games a season in the Colesium. But oh well. Us future HOF Show’ers have it tough in the beginning before the real glory comes. And hey, it could always be worse. We could be stuck with MLB 2K13. :)

• Old Gator - Mar 20, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I’m a classically trained vocalist and have sung duschlieder in some of the finest showers in the world. A fat lot of good that does me.

• mscott4 - Mar 20, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Until you’ve sung duschlieder in a Deutsche Dusche you haven’t sung at all.

• Gamera the Brave - Mar 20, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Gator, is there nothing you haven’t done?…

If you haven’t given it a whack, and if you are a high tenor, I encourage you to take a run at Nachtelle by Schubert. ‘Bout half way through you just start getting goose bumps at the sound you are making.

You’ll need about 10 – 12 other guys, BTW…

6. fearthehoody - Mar 20, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Figgy picked up his checks in Seattle with a ski mask and a gun

• dondada10 - Mar 20, 2013 at 9:21 PM

“Jack Z is a genius”

-2008 Mariner fans

7. cadillacjosh - Mar 20, 2013 at 10:35 PM

In MLB the show 2010, I got traded straight up for Justin Verlander once. I don’t care how good I was a minor league talent, that is just nuts.

8. Old Gator - Mar 20, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Just checked something – Figgins, in admittedly limited duty, batted .308 for the Feesh this spring, so they didn’t cut him because he didn’t perform. They cut him because they’d rather let the kids play and they think they have some good ones. Still, with Hechevarria batting only .175 and with the team pretty much committed to him and with no other serious options at short so far this season, I think the Feesh may have made a mistake here. I suspect too that even if the Feesh are “the worst team in baseball” this season, they have a special situation that makes cutting Figgins less indicative of what his value might be to a team that matters than it is indicative of how pointless it is for a team that isn’t going to matter to hang onto him.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate