Mar 20, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
According to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports, the Padres and Rangers are the “most active” among teams interested in trading for Tigers’ right-hander Rick Porcello.
I suppose this should make Morosi happy. At least if that activity is exuberant and celebratory. We need far more of that kind of joyous intensity in our trade rumors, guys.
Anyway: R&M report that the Padres made an “aggressive offer” last week, but were turned down. Which is good because if you give in to bullies you only embolden them.
Alright, enough of that nonsense. Go read their report which handicaps the Porcello derby and talks about the sort of return the Tigers are looking for.
My view: I can’t remember the last time a team in serious contention had enough pitching. Heck, even the Reds last year, who had a recent day-historic run of rotation health and stability, found themselves a starter down due to one fluke of bad health in the playoffs. If I’m the Tigers I keep Porcello, put Drew Smyly down in Toledo and see where things stand in June. If, in the likely event other holes are found on the team, Porcello could be traded to patch them. As of now: they really don’t what they’ll need over the course of the season.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)