Mar 20, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
According to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports, the Padres and Rangers are the “most active” among teams interested in trading for Tigers’ right-hander Rick Porcello.
I suppose this should make Morosi happy. At least if that activity is exuberant and celebratory. We need far more of that kind of joyous intensity in our trade rumors, guys.
Anyway: R&M report that the Padres made an “aggressive offer” last week, but were turned down. Which is good because if you give in to bullies you only embolden them.
Alright, enough of that nonsense. Go read their report which handicaps the Porcello derby and talks about the sort of return the Tigers are looking for.
My view: I can’t remember the last time a team in serious contention had enough pitching. Heck, even the Reds last year, who had a recent day-historic run of rotation health and stability, found themselves a starter down due to one fluke of bad health in the playoffs. If I’m the Tigers I keep Porcello, put Drew Smyly down in Toledo and see where things stand in June. If, in the likely event other holes are found on the team, Porcello could be traded to patch them. As of now: they really don’t what they’ll need over the course of the season.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 13
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 37
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)