Pat Neshek: “I still feel the devastation and I don’t know if that will change”

Mar 20, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT

Pat Neshek AP

Pat Neshek and his wife lost their son, Gehrig John Neshek, one day after he was born in October.

Six months later the A’s reliever spoke to John Hickey of San Jose Mercury News about the tragic death:

The devastation has never left me. … I don’t think I’ve had time to come to terms with what happened. We had to grieve in public, which we didn’t know how to do. When the season was over it was mid-October. Then the holidays were right there. We couldn’t enjoy anything. Christmas was really hard.

I still feel the devastation, and I don’t know if that will change, but this is the happiest I’ve been, maybe since I’ve been playing baseball. I feel like Oakland could be a place to be for a long time. … [We'll] be forever grateful to the organization, the way they reached out to us, the way they supported us.

Hickey writes that the Neshek family can’t discuss any specifics about their son’s death because “the autopsy didn’t give enough clarity” and “there are lawsuits pending.”

I’ve been rooting for Neshek since he was a little-known side-arming reliever in the Twins’ farm system a decade ago because he’s a really good guy and when healthy a really good pitcher. It would be awfully nice to see him have a great season.

1. icanspeel - Mar 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I think it’s something people can’t really understand unless they have gone through it themselves. I wish him the best and enjoyed him for the year he was on the Padres

• vanmorrissey - Mar 20, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Amen to that.

2. digbysellers - Mar 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Not an A’s fan whatsoever, but I certainly can cheer for this guy. Good luck Neshek.

3. indaburg - Mar 20, 2013 at 1:04 PM

No parent should ever have to experience this pain. I can’t even imagine.

Kudos to Oakland for being more than just an employer to Neshek during this time. I’ll be rooting for him and the A’s.

4. seahawks19081 - Mar 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM

What troll goes and thumbs down every post on here? HBT should find them and ban then if at all possible.
    Having a young daughter myself, I can not imagine the pain he and his wife go through every waking hour. It is something I hope to never have to deal with.
    God bless the Neshek family an may they some day find peace in their lives.

5. cur68 - Mar 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Bad enough to lose a child, but a lawsuit over the loss, too? Well, I don’t know how he manages to do his job. I’d be a wreck. Good luck to the Nesheks

6. butchhuskey - Mar 20, 2013 at 2:55 PM

One of the most moving moments of the 2012 playoffs was when Neshek made an appearance against the Tigers and retired the couple of batters he faced. I’m glad that he and his wife have been able to find happiness after such a difficult event.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2977)