Mar 20, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Pat Neshek and his wife lost their son, Gehrig John Neshek, one day after he was born in October.
Six months later the A’s reliever spoke to John Hickey of San Jose Mercury News about the tragic death:
The devastation has never left me. … I don’t think I’ve had time to come to terms with what happened. We had to grieve in public, which we didn’t know how to do. When the season was over it was mid-October. Then the holidays were right there. We couldn’t enjoy anything. Christmas was really hard.
I still feel the devastation, and I don’t know if that will change, but this is the happiest I’ve been, maybe since I’ve been playing baseball. I feel like Oakland could be a place to be for a long time. … [We'll] be forever grateful to the organization, the way they reached out to us, the way they supported us.
Hickey writes that the Neshek family can’t discuss any specifics about their son’s death because “the autopsy didn’t give enough clarity” and “there are lawsuits pending.”
I’ve been rooting for Neshek since he was a little-known side-arming reliever in the Twins’ farm system a decade ago because he’s a really good guy and when healthy a really good pitcher. It would be awfully nice to see him have a great season.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 51
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)