Mar 20, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
After losing Chase d’Arnaud for 6-8 weeks following thumb surgery the Pirates have added some middle infield depth by acquiring John McDonald from the Diamondbacks, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com.
Rosenthal reported last week that McDonald was on the trading block because Arizona had stockpiled too many light-hitting veteran infielders and preferred to keep Willie Bloomquist and Cliff Pennington.
McDonald is under contract for $1.5 million this season at age 38 and has long been one of the worst hitters in baseball, although his measly .681 OPS in 2012 was actually 73 points above his career average.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 58
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 68
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)