Mar 20, 2013, 1:50 PM EST
After losing Chase d’Arnaud for 6-8 weeks following thumb surgery the Pirates have added some middle infield depth by acquiring John McDonald from the Diamondbacks, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com.
Rosenthal reported last week that McDonald was on the trading block because Arizona had stockpiled too many light-hitting veteran infielders and preferred to keep Willie Bloomquist and Cliff Pennington.
McDonald is under contract for $1.5 million this season at age 38 and has long been one of the worst hitters in baseball, although his measly .681 OPS in 2012 was actually 73 points above his career average.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 76
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 42
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 24
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)