Mar 20, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
After losing Chase d’Arnaud for 6-8 weeks following thumb surgery the Pirates have added some middle infield depth by acquiring John McDonald from the Diamondbacks, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com.
Rosenthal reported last week that McDonald was on the trading block because Arizona had stockpiled too many light-hitting veteran infielders and preferred to keep Willie Bloomquist and Cliff Pennington.
McDonald is under contract for $1.5 million this season at age 38 and has long been one of the worst hitters in baseball, although his measly .681 OPS in 2012 was actually 73 points above his career average.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 36
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 6
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 25
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)