Mar 20, 2013, 10:52 PM EDT
Oswalt’s agent, Bob Garber of RMG Baseball, told Dierkes that Oswalt isn’t worried about geography like he was last year — when he would only accept offers from the Rangers and Cardinals. But Oswalt does want to pitch for a contender and is open to working as a reliever if it’s an attractive situation.
Oswalt posted a 5.80 ERA and 1.53 WHIP in 59 innings (nine starts, eight relief appearances) last season for Texas. Teams haven’t exactly been lining up for the 35-year-old this winter, but maybe he’ll get a call as Opening Day approaches from an organization in desperate need of last-minute pitching depth.
Garber told Dierkes that returning to the Astros is something Oswalt wants to do before he retires.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 19
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 24
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 31
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (114)