Mar 20, 2013, 10:52 PM EDT
Oswalt’s agent, Bob Garber of RMG Baseball, told Dierkes that Oswalt isn’t worried about geography like he was last year — when he would only accept offers from the Rangers and Cardinals. But Oswalt does want to pitch for a contender and is open to working as a reliever if it’s an attractive situation.
Oswalt posted a 5.80 ERA and 1.53 WHIP in 59 innings (nine starts, eight relief appearances) last season for Texas. Teams haven’t exactly been lining up for the 35-year-old this winter, but maybe he’ll get a call as Opening Day approaches from an organization in desperate need of last-minute pitching depth.
Garber told Dierkes that returning to the Astros is something Oswalt wants to do before he retires.
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a serious Achilles injury Saturday night 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 4
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)