Mar 20, 2013, 10:52 PM EST
Oswalt’s agent, Bob Garber of RMG Baseball, told Dierkes that Oswalt isn’t worried about geography like he was last year — when he would only accept offers from the Rangers and Cardinals. But Oswalt does want to pitch for a contender and is open to working as a reliever if it’s an attractive situation.
Oswalt posted a 5.80 ERA and 1.53 WHIP in 59 innings (nine starts, eight relief appearances) last season for Texas. Teams haven’t exactly been lining up for the 35-year-old this winter, but maybe he’ll get a call as Opening Day approaches from an organization in desperate need of last-minute pitching depth.
Garber told Dierkes that returning to the Astros is something Oswalt wants to do before he retires.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (102)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)