Mar 20, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
Last week we heard that the Giants and Buster Posey had “exchanged preliminary ideas” about a multi-year deal to buy out his remaining arbitration years. Today Jon Heyman reports that those talks continue, though there is a “decent-sized gap” between the parties. Part of that gap is contract length, with Posey apparently wanting a Joey Votto/Troy Tulowitzki-style decade deal, with the team preferring to buy out the arbitration years and take it from there.
I’d take it from there. Posey is awesome, yes, but he’s also a catcher. If he stays a catcher, you have to be mindful of wear and tear. If he doesn’t, you have to be sure he can handle another position. I imagine he can — dude used to be a shortstop, so he’s more like Biggio than he is like a late-period Piazza or Bench — but you don’t know until you’ve tried it.
I’m usually about the players getting paid, but in this case, if I were the Giants, I’d play the waiting game for a while, content that there is a good chance that, even if you only keep Posey for six years, you’re likely to be getting his best ones.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)