Mar 20, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Last week we heard that the Giants and Buster Posey had “exchanged preliminary ideas” about a multi-year deal to buy out his remaining arbitration years. Today Jon Heyman reports that those talks continue, though there is a “decent-sized gap” between the parties. Part of that gap is contract length, with Posey apparently wanting a Joey Votto/Troy Tulowitzki-style decade deal, with the team preferring to buy out the arbitration years and take it from there.
I’d take it from there. Posey is awesome, yes, but he’s also a catcher. If he stays a catcher, you have to be mindful of wear and tear. If he doesn’t, you have to be sure he can handle another position. I imagine he can — dude used to be a shortstop, so he’s more like Biggio than he is like a late-period Piazza or Bench — but you don’t know until you’ve tried it.
I’m usually about the players getting paid, but in this case, if I were the Giants, I’d play the waiting game for a while, content that there is a good chance that, even if you only keep Posey for six years, you’re likely to be getting his best ones.
- Cubs to acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 2
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)