Mar 20, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
It has nothing to do with Adrian. It has everything to do with a 17 year-old pitching prospect named Daniel Pesqueira. Jorge Arangure of Sports on Earth has the story and it’s a fascinating one.
Pesqueira was in Fort Myers, trying out for the Red Sox and likely to receive a contract offer when Major League Baseball informed him that, contrary to what Pesqueira believed, he was under contract with the Mexico City Diablos Rojos of the Liga Mexicana de Beisbol (LMB). The only evidence that Pesqueira was under contract with Mexico City: a couple of exceedingly sketchy documents and Major League Baseball’s refusal to question the LMB’s assertions about their validity at all.
Enter David Gonzalez, who has taken up Pesqueira’s case, suing Major League Baseball and attempting to expose and ultimately put an end to the often shady dealings between LMB and MLB which keep Mexican ballplayers in a state which some of them call virtual slavery. What’s more: the pendency and outcome of the case could throw a major wrench into Major League Baseball’s plans to institute an international draft, as it seems so intent on doing.
Check out Arangure’s story and marvel at how much damage can be caused by some folks looking to make a few bucks and some other folks not having the nerve to rock the boat.
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 2
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- Bartolo Colon and Scott Feldman clear revocable waivers; eligible to be traded to any team 22
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)