Mar 20, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
It has nothing to do with Adrian. It has everything to do with a 17 year-old pitching prospect named Daniel Pesqueira. Jorge Arangure of Sports on Earth has the story and it’s a fascinating one.
Pesqueira was in Fort Myers, trying out for the Red Sox and likely to receive a contract offer when Major League Baseball informed him that, contrary to what Pesqueira believed, he was under contract with the Mexico City Diablos Rojos of the Liga Mexicana de Beisbol (LMB). The only evidence that Pesqueira was under contract with Mexico City: a couple of exceedingly sketchy documents and Major League Baseball’s refusal to question the LMB’s assertions about their validity at all.
Enter David Gonzalez, who has taken up Pesqueira’s case, suing Major League Baseball and attempting to expose and ultimately put an end to the often shady dealings between LMB and MLB which keep Mexican ballplayers in a state which some of them call virtual slavery. What’s more: the pendency and outcome of the case could throw a major wrench into Major League Baseball’s plans to institute an international draft, as it seems so intent on doing.
Check out Arangure’s story and marvel at how much damage can be caused by some folks looking to make a few bucks and some other folks not having the nerve to rock the boat.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 59
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)