Mar 20, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
It has nothing to do with Adrian. It has everything to do with a 17 year-old pitching prospect named Daniel Pesqueira. Jorge Arangure of Sports on Earth has the story and it’s a fascinating one.
Pesqueira was in Fort Myers, trying out for the Red Sox and likely to receive a contract offer when Major League Baseball informed him that, contrary to what Pesqueira believed, he was under contract with the Mexico City Diablos Rojos of the Liga Mexicana de Beisbol (LMB). The only evidence that Pesqueira was under contract with Mexico City: a couple of exceedingly sketchy documents and Major League Baseball’s refusal to question the LMB’s assertions about their validity at all.
Enter David Gonzalez, who has taken up Pesqueira’s case, suing Major League Baseball and attempting to expose and ultimately put an end to the often shady dealings between LMB and MLB which keep Mexican ballplayers in a state which some of them call virtual slavery. What’s more: the pendency and outcome of the case could throw a major wrench into Major League Baseball’s plans to institute an international draft, as it seems so intent on doing.
Check out Arangure’s story and marvel at how much damage can be caused by some folks looking to make a few bucks and some other folks not having the nerve to rock the boat.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)