Mar 21, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
“We want to get something done before spring training ends, and that’s our goal,” agent Steve Hammond told Goold. “They have communicated clearly that they want to keep Adam here, and we’ve communicated that he wants to be here. We have to keep working on that.”
Goold indicates that the Cardinals are willing to pay Wainwright like a top-of-the-line starter, which probably means more than $20 million per season, but they’ve so far balked at the length of the contract he’s looking for at age 31. Wainwright is a season removed from Tommy John elbow surgery, so that’s understandable, but he’s also one healthy season away from almost surely topping $100 million on the open market.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)