Mar 21, 2013, 5:03 PM EDT
Brian Cashman said today that Derek Jeter will play only in minor league spring training games for the rest of spring training. The move is strategic: by not playing in major league exhibitions, the Yankees can put Jeter on the disabled list retroactive to now in the event he has to begin the regular season on the DL. If he played in major league spring training games his DL time could only be counted retroactive to those.
As it stands, Jeter missed his third straight exhibition game today due to inflammation in his surgically repaired left ankle. He got a cortisone shot yesterday.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (115)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)