Mar 21, 2013, 5:03 PM EST
Brian Cashman said today that Derek Jeter will play only in minor league spring training games for the rest of spring training. The move is strategic: by not playing in major league exhibitions, the Yankees can put Jeter on the disabled list retroactive to now in the event he has to begin the regular season on the DL. If he played in major league spring training games his DL time could only be counted retroactive to those.
As it stands, Jeter missed his third straight exhibition game today due to inflammation in his surgically repaired left ankle. He got a cortisone shot yesterday.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (119)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)