Mar 21, 2013, 5:03 PM EST
Brian Cashman said today that Derek Jeter will play only in minor league spring training games for the rest of spring training. The move is strategic: by not playing in major league exhibitions, the Yankees can put Jeter on the disabled list retroactive to now in the event he has to begin the regular season on the DL. If he played in major league spring training games his DL time could only be counted retroactive to those.
As it stands, Jeter missed his third straight exhibition game today due to inflammation in his surgically repaired left ankle. He got a cortisone shot yesterday.
- Report: Giants close to acquiring Casey McGehee from Marlins 4
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 53
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)