Mar 21, 2013, 5:03 PM EDT
Brian Cashman said today that Derek Jeter will play only in minor league spring training games for the rest of spring training. The move is strategic: by not playing in major league exhibitions, the Yankees can put Jeter on the disabled list retroactive to now in the event he has to begin the regular season on the DL. If he played in major league spring training games his DL time could only be counted retroactive to those.
As it stands, Jeter missed his third straight exhibition game today due to inflammation in his surgically repaired left ankle. He got a cortisone shot yesterday.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (123)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy