Mar 21, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
The thumb injury that caused Hanley Ramirez to leave the World Baseball Classic championship game turned out to be a significant one, as Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Dodgers shortstop has a torn ligament that will require surgery.
He’s scheduled to go under the knife tomorrow, will be totally shut down for at least three weeks, and is expected to miss approximately eight weeks overall. In other words, he may not be back in the Dodgers’ lineup until June.
Yesterday manager Don Mattingly indicated that he’d shift Luis Cruz from third base to shortstop in Ramirez’s absence and use Nick Punto or Jerry Hairston Jr. at third base, but now that the Ramirez timetable is two months instead of the two weeks the Dodgers were hoping for Dee Gordon could eventually emerge as an option.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 61
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)