HBT Extra: Previewing the AL Central

Mar 21, 2013, 11:32 AM EST

Kay Adams and I run through the AL Central. Which, if Master Lock would give us sponsorship money, we’d totally name the Tigers our “Master Lock Lock of the Year” or something cool like that.

But they won’t, so screw those guys.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. Old Gator - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Craig – more shadow!

2. tc4306 - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Tigers first, Twins last, put the other three in a glass and stir.

3. chicitybulls - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM

White Sox in 4th? Are you nuts? They probably have the best pitching in the division top to bottom. Sure the Tigers have a better lineup and a better #1 starter but I’ll take the Sox pitching and bullpen. You dont even mention how much better the Sox defense was than the Tigers. I dont have a problem with saying the Tigers are the favorites in the division but the Sox will not finish 4th. Or 5th. Or 3rd.

4. tmhofficial - Mar 21, 2013 at 1:33 PM

My Twins should be awesome this year. I’m really looking forward to more Ryan Doumit Right Field play, and Trevor Plouffe batting .220 while swinging for the fences, and Jamie Carroll staving off retirement to be our best middle infielder, and watching Mauer hit 15 HRs tops while making 25% of our payroll. Vanimal and Diamond, #3 starters at best, are the aces of our staff. Yes, we’re going to trot out Pelfrey and try to make Harden relevant again. Kevin Correia should be fun, that joke writes itself.

I’m sure it will be a playoff atmosphere all year at Target Field.

5. Old Gator - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:12 PM

What’s an “AL Central”?

• tmhofficial - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Easy….

6. jlovenotjlo - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I recall writers on this website around this time last year predicting that the Tigers would win the division by 20 games. That it would be a complete joke and possibly over with by July.

The Tigers may have ended up winning the 2012 AL Central, but I’d say it was more of a case of the White Sox losing it. Let’s keep worshipping the Tigers, though. And guess what, guys like Jake Peavy and Chris Sale, not to mention Hector Santiago, should be coming back stronger than last year after getting those first big years under their collective belts (Santiago as a rookie, Sale as a first year starter, and Peavy after coming back from injury). All its going to take is a dependable Floyd, and he usually is, as well as a healthy and effective John Danks, and the White Sox starting pitching and bullpen are going to keep them in it.

No respect I tell ya

• historiophiliac - Mar 21, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Again, the Tigers had a lot of crap on their roster last year and have shed a lot of that (and upgraded w/ Hunter & V-Mart’s return). I think people underestimated our weak spots last year, but you should not consider this the same team. Every team has to earn it though….except the Stanks cuz they are on a Doom Watch.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6272)