Mets officially name David Wright as team captain

Mar 21, 2013, 9:20 PM EDT

David Wright AP AP

We already knew this was coming at some point, but the Mets made it official this afternoon. David Wright was named the fourth captain in the team’s history, joining John Franco, Keith Hernandez and Gary Carter.

Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter and White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko are the only other active designated “captains” in the major leagues. Wright didn’t really need the title at this point since he’s clearly the face of the franchise, so it’s mostly a formality, but the honor clearly means a lot to him.

Via Andy Martino of the New York Daily News:

“This is probably one of the proudest days of my career so far,” Wright said. “To be viewed in this light, both by ownership, by Sandy and the front office, by the coaching staff, and probably most importantly by the players — It means a great deal to me, and is something that I am very appreciative of.”

And don’t worry, Wright will not be wearing a “C” on his uniform. While those C’s can look a little goofy, I’m guessing the Wilpons may have had mixed emotions about the situation, as it could have resulted in a huge spike in merchandise sales. But I’m sure they’ll find a way to make money off it somehow.

Wright, a supplemental first-round pick of the Mets in 2001, owns a .301/.381/.506 lifetime batting line and already holds the franchise record with 1,426 hits. The 30-year-old third signed an eight year, $138 million extension with the club in December which sets him up to spend his entire career with the Mets.

1. historiophiliac - Mar 21, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Captain Wright wall calendar! (and none of the months better have that goofball photo you all like to post on here) For January, he can recreate the SI swimsuit cover.

• ikedavisnose - Mar 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM

It’s Captain America, if you please

• jwbiii - Mar 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM

This one definitely has to be there

• sgtr0c - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:51 PM

gangnam style

2. gnyj85 - Mar 21, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Congrats david!

3. aceshigh11 - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Well-deserved…congrats.

4. fissels - Mar 22, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Good guy, he deserves it.

5. shaggylocks - Mar 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Aw man, I know I’m probably in the minority here, but I’m a sucker for the “C” on the uniform. Maybe it’s the military man in me.

Three legends off to Cooperstown