Mar 21, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Twenty years ago, Cleveland Indians pitchers Steve Olin and Tim Crews were tragically killed in a boating accident on Little Lake Nellie in Clermont, Florida during Spring Training. Bob Ojeda was seriously injured in the accident as well.
Today MLB.com’s Anthony Castrovince has a story about how the families of Crews and Olin have coped with it over these past two decades. He catches up with their widows, Patti and Laurie, their children, all they have gone through and all that they missed.
It’s tough stuff — Castrovince’s choice to style it as an open letter to Crews and Olin make it hard going at times — but it’s good stuff too.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 50
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 62
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)