Mar 21, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Twenty years ago, Cleveland Indians pitchers Steve Olin and Tim Crews were tragically killed in a boating accident on Little Lake Nellie in Clermont, Florida during Spring Training. Bob Ojeda was seriously injured in the accident as well.
Today MLB.com’s Anthony Castrovince has a story about how the families of Crews and Olin have coped with it over these past two decades. He catches up with their widows, Patti and Laurie, their children, all they have gone through and all that they missed.
It’s tough stuff — Castrovince’s choice to style it as an open letter to Crews and Olin make it hard going at times — but it’s good stuff too.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)