Must-Click Link: “This is where life met death”

Mar 21, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT

Click Here large

Twenty years ago, Cleveland Indians pitchers Steve Olin and Tim Crews were tragically killed in a boating accident on Little Lake Nellie in Clermont, Florida during Spring Training. Bob Ojeda was seriously injured in the accident as well.

Today MLB.com’s Anthony Castrovince has a story about how the families of Crews and Olin have coped with it over these past two decades. He catches up with their widows, Patti and Laurie, their children, all they have gone through and all that they missed.

It’s tough stuff — Castrovince’s choice to style it as an open letter to Crews and Olin make it hard going at times — but it’s good stuff too.

1. number42is1 - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Is this the accident where one of them were decapitated? has it really been 20 years already?

• heyblueyoustink - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I can’t speak on the decapitation, but the 20 years ago thing really threw me for a loop.

Life is short, make the best of it while you can, served two different ways.

• geoknows - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Yes. The accident was truly horrifying.

I, too, am absolutely shocked that it’s been 20 years. How did that happen?

2. professormaddog31 - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:58 AM

This happened when I was 13 years old. It’s one of those things that I remember vividly from my childhood. Had nightmares for weeks about it, and I wasn’t even a fan of any of those guys or the Indians.

Thanks for the link.

• nygiantstones - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:36 PM

How do you get two thumbs down for that comment? Adding a thumbs up. Jeez people.

3. Jason @ IIATMS - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Don’t mean to hi-jack, but I interviewed Mike Hargrove in 2008 and we spoke nearly exclusively about the accident:

A managerial overanalysis epidemic