Mar 21, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
Stephen Drew has been sidelined by post-concussion symptoms since March 7, but the Red Sox shortstop has been cleared to resume baseball activities after being examined by a specialist in Pittsburgh.
There’s no timetable for his return to game action and Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that once Drew does resume playing in games it’ll be on the minor-league side of camp so the Red Sox can potentially backdate a season-opening disabled list stint. If he were to play in a major-league spring game a DL stint could only be backdated to that point.
So good news overall for Drew, but his status for Opening Day remains in doubt and Jose Iglesias will probably be breaking camp with the Red Sox.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 30
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 30
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)