Terry Collins says that David Wright will be ready for Opening Day

Mar 21, 2013, 9:43 AM EDT

david wright getty Getty Images

David Wright has been shut down with an intercostal strain and was expected to miss several weeks, including Opening Day. Terry Collins is more optimistic than that, however, with Mike Puma of the New York Post reporting that Collins is “confident” that Wright will be ready for Opening Day.

Obviously it’s more important that he’s around and available for the bulk of the season, but if things are looking good now that’s a good sign.  Bigger question: will the time off cool down Wright, who was absolutely raking when he went down with the injury during the WBC?

1. chill1184 - Mar 21, 2013 at 9:53 AM

If he is going to start on opening day I hope he is 100%

2. Old Gator - Mar 21, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Wright will be fine. His real injury issue this season will be calf, thigh and back strains from dragging the rest of the team along behind him.

• sdelmonte - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Not to worry. Lucas Duda will save the day.

Mark my words. Come August 1 he will be hitting at least .225!

(I actually like Duda a lot. I have no illusions he’s anything more than a good backup, but I am rooting hard for him to make his occasional successes something more.)

3. topwonk - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Intercostal strain? That’s a new one for Wright. I didn’t even know he sailed…

• Old Gator - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM

No one sets their sails on the Intercoastal. They use the outboard until they get outside through one of the cuts.

• topwonk - Mar 21, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I know… Always some pretty cool sail boats cruising through there though….

4. jwbiii - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:00 PM

If Wright is not ready two days before opening day, he’ll be on Collins’ shit list.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto