Mar 21, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT
This month has been filled with reports about teams trying to trade for Tigers right-hander Rick Porcello and as a response to that some prominent media members have even taken to saying Detroit would be making a big mistake by trading him.
Young starting pitching is always in demand and Porcello is a 24-year-old former first-round pick who’s 6-foot-5 and throws hard, but his actual performance has been mediocre at best.
Last season among the 100 pitchers to make at least 25 starts Porcello ranked 81st in ERA (4.59), 93rd in strikeouts per nine innings (5.5), and 99th in opponents’ batting average (.310). And those underwhelming numbers are very much in line with the rest of his career, which includes a 4.55 ERA, 5.0 strikeouts per nine innings, and a .290 opponents’ batting average in 120 total starts spread over four seasons.
Obviously he’s still young enough to improve, but at no point in the minors or the majors has Porcello shown any kind of ability to miss bats and because of that he’s given up a ton of hits and a ton of runs. He’s also already expensive despite being just 24 and not performing very well, making $5.1 million this season with raises due via arbitration in 2014 and 2015.
I just don’t get it.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)