Mar 21, 2013, 9:13 AM EST
A very nice gesture from the Yankees and Red Sox, who open the season in Yankee Stadium on April 1: they’ll be commemorating the 26 people killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut in December. Specifics:
Pregame ceremonies will include a moment of silence, at which time the center-field scoreboard will feature the victims’ names, and an acknowledgment of Newtown police and firefighters. The players will also wear special ribbons on their uniforms–a tribute that baseball commissioner Bud Selig has asked of all other 28 major league teams to wear for their opening games as well.
The game will be televised at 1PM Eastern on ESPN.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)