Adam Eaton to miss 6-8 weeks with a sprained UCL

Mar 22, 2013, 5:11 PM EDT

Bad news for the Diamondbacks:

Eaton left Monday’s game early after a hard slide into third, but it was said that he was removed simply because Kirk Gibson was giving him the rest of the day off.  No word yet on when this injury actually took place.

Eaton, who has been much-hyped, and for good reason, since his callup late last year, is talking positively, but this is a blow. He was to be the Dbacks’ spark plug center fielder, but now, between this and Cody Ross‘ recent injury, it looks like Arizona is going to have an Opening Day outfield which consists of Kubel, A.J. Pollock and Gerardo Parra.

1. nsauser - Mar 22, 2013 at 5:34 PM

These kind of injuries will happen to gritty players. No doubt the Dbacks are prepared for this. Meanwhile in Orlando Justin Upton hit a Homerun over the scoreboard, I heard he waved to Ken Kendrick as he rounded 2nd base.

• evanwins - Mar 22, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Based on the projected outfield by the writer, it appears as though the DBacks are in fact not “prepared for this”.

2. kingscourt25 - Mar 22, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Gibson: “rub some dirt on it”

3. chacochicken - Mar 22, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Promising young prospect…might be time to pull the plug on this guy. Maybe call the Mariners and move him for Brendan Ryan and Raul Ibanez.

4. djjackson81 - Mar 22, 2013 at 6:50 PM

All four comments from people who just want to talk shit. Diamondback will be just fine with Kubel Pollock and Parra. Watch pollock is just till Adam gets back and Pollock is a stud anyway. The biggest loose of Adam is his lead off at bats. Hell be back when it matters and a nice spark plug when he does get there. It will be like a mid season trade of a nice lead off bat but before the trade deadline cause he already is on Dbacks roster.

• nsauser - Mar 22, 2013 at 7:14 PM

They all need to get off to hot starts. If Kubel (who was on the trading block) starts the year like he finished last year then they will be in trouble. Pollack is supposed to have a great arm and decent bat so it’ll be nice to see him play for a few weeks as a starter without being a late season call-up.

• adcoop22 - Mar 22, 2013 at 8:09 PM

It is an embarrassment to cheat for the same squad as you. Every comment I see makes you look bitter and ignorant. Yes the grit comments get old, but crying about it just eggs people on.

• adcoop22 - Mar 22, 2013 at 8:09 PM

*cheer

• nsauser - Mar 22, 2013 at 8:51 PM

First, I’m a Braves fan and have been for years. I was stoked when J Up was traded there because I felt he has a lot of potential that wasn’t tapped into by the Dbacks. I also felt that the ownership group in AZ was foolish for getting rid of him and making the comments as he left. Hopefully this year will be a great one fueled on the doubt of the Dbacks. I live in Phoenix and support the Dbacks when I want to. Last year I had a 10 game season ticket deal and while it was frustrating watching Upton sulk in RF I didn’t think it was time to give up on him but I’m glad the Dbacks did. But as you know, Upton usually has one good year followed by two bad ones so we’ll see. IMO the ownership erred by hanging that UpTown sign in RF, then they didn’t want to deal with a spoiled 20 yr old. Spoiled or Not gritty, you decide.

• adcoop22 - Mar 23, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Sorry, that was actually meant for Jackson, what a deusch

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 22, 2013 at 7:30 PM

***UPDATE***Upon hearing the criticism in the media, Gibson tore out his own UCL (“Never had any use for the sissy thing anyway”) and attached it to Eaton’s knee with some bailing wire and stove bolts, then sent him to run 20 laps around the OF as punishment for whining about his “boo-boo.”

• chill1184 - Mar 22, 2013 at 7:56 PM

True Grit(tm)

6. djjackson81 - Mar 22, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Eaton surprised the team so much so that when he filled in for injured Young the team saw it fitting to go ahead and deal Young. I think AJ Pollock will do the same thing albeit he is young but he is gonna be the next guy to impress the team he is awesome.

7. thebadguyswon - Mar 22, 2013 at 10:02 PM

BRING BACK CONOR JACKSON!

8. flavadave10 - Mar 24, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Whenever I hear the name “Adam Eaton”, I can’t help but think of that horrifically abysmal pitcher. Is it just me?

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB