Mar 22, 2013, 4:16 PM EST
Bill Hall’s attempt to win a spot on the Angels’ bench was limited by a strained calf muscle and today they released the veteran infielder.
Hall should be able to find a Triple-A gig somewhere and possibly make it back to the majors based on his defensive versatility, but at age 34 he’s definitely finished as a regular.
He barely played in the big leagues last season and hit just .211 with a .575 OPS in 62 games for the Astros and Giants in 2011.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (304)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)