Darin Ruf hits a walkoff homer, then gets sent to the minors

Mar 22, 2013, 4:55 PM EST

Tough day for Darin Ruf. Mere minutes after this happened:

This happened:

Bummer dude.

Looks like Ruf will start the season at Lehigh Valley. That would seem to indicate an outfield of Ben Revere, Domonic Brown and John Mayberry to start the season, with Delmon Young coming up at some point to either slot into left or to be on the bench or what have you.

Also: with Ruf down, I believe that may open a roster spot for Yuniesky Betancourt. So there’s that.

Tough spring for Ruf, who many figured would make the lineup based on his power potential. But that’s why they have spring training.

1. illegalblues - Mar 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM

that’s a real drag

• Caught Looking - Mar 22, 2013 at 5:52 PM

that’s a real Ruf way to get sent down.

• illegalblues - Mar 22, 2013 at 7:43 PM

nice

• evanwins - Mar 22, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Yeah, he had a good day to, 2 doubles and the walk off.

It’s really the best move. He just wasn’t ready for the majors and rushing him would help no one.

With Brown really stepping up and Revere as Revere the Phils can do without his help right now.

BTW: Delmon Young hit a HR off RA Dickey today. I know everyone hates him but I’m hopeful he can pick up where he left off in the postseason last year. Fresh start, healthy, change of scenery, who knows? (correct answer: No one despite the know-it-alls on HBT)

2. bleedgreen - Mar 22, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Eh, he needs more seasoning. He hasn’t played at AAA at all if I recall. He went straight from AA Reading straight to the Bigs last season after rosters expanded. I imagine he’ll get called up should anyone get hurt.

3. phillyfan75 - Mar 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM

He definitely needs more work in the outfield so it’s the right move. Interesting you think it means a spot for Betancourt – not sure about that. Delmon Young is still going to be out for a month, so they’ll need a fifth outfielder to go with Revere, Brown, Nix, and Mayberry. Could be Inciarte?

Betancourt may still make the roster, but I would think if he does, they’d send Galvis down for some AAA work.

• Francisco (FC) - Mar 22, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I’m thinking Inciarte, when Delmon Young comes back Mayberry may get traded, or Inciarte might be offered back.

4. Kevin S. - Mar 22, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I’m confused. I thought Ruf was the cure for all that ails Philly.

• proudlycanadian - Mar 22, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Are you sure that he isn’t a dog?

• spudchukar - Mar 22, 2013 at 6:05 PM

That is where I was going, so much for my …so I walk into a bar with my dog…

• evanwins - Mar 22, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Shows what you know about baseball.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 22, 2013 at 7:44 PM

the joke
        your head

• coronakid76 - Mar 22, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Isn’t that Mcgruff the crime Dog?? Even he doesn’t go into Filthy. More bars on the windows then there are on the corners….

• Old Phaithful - Mar 22, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Seriously, you need help. Think about getting a therapist.

• tfoz5150 - Mar 23, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Don’t worry. He will still be the next coming of “The Bull” 2.0.

5. DonkeyStick - Mar 22, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Trade him to AL as DH or 1B…he can’t play OF and there is no room for him now

6. DelawarePhilliesFan - Mar 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM

For the best – he looked too lost in the Field. He needs a season under his belt in Left – which will come in July/August (depending on how much weight you give his winter ball experience)

7. Victor Filoromo - Mar 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Ruf molested my wife and stole my kids’ lunch money /klaw

8. jlinatl - Mar 22, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Mistakes in the OF rarely end up on Sportscenter when they happen in Triple A. Let him learn. Still could have a bright future.

9. unclemosesgreen - Mar 23, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Tough to say who will hit less HR’s this season, the Punch and Judy OF’s of the Phillies or their weak sisters in Queens. Mets may take it by a Duda.

10. officialgame - Mar 23, 2013 at 9:36 AM

The guy can flat out hit, has a fantastic swing and great eye at the plate. He will be a 280 hitter, 30 homer guy for the Phils or someone else. Most of the comments posted about Ruff show very little knowledge about why he was sent down.

• Kevin S. - Mar 23, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I’ll take the under.

11. leftywildcat - Mar 23, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I believe that the joke was that Ruff is Dennis the Menace’s dog.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5193)
  2. M. Kemp (3578)
  3. J. Upton (2871)
  4. J. Kang (2866)
  5. C. McGehee (2758)
  1. W. Middlebrooks (2755)
  2. M. Morse (2439)