Mar 22, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT
Kyle McClellan on the disabled list due to a ribcage injury. Martin Perez on the disabled list due to a fractured left forearm. Robbie Ross moved to the bullpen recently. Justin Grimm and Randy Wells sent to Triple-A.
The Rangers have had a lot of moving parts as they attempted to find a suitable candidate for the #5 spot in the rotation. Now, the single red rose can go to one of two finalists: prospect Nick Tepesch and veteran Derek Lowe, according to MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan:
But Washington is still holding off naming Tepesch as the fifth starter. Lowe allows him to do that. Lowe has made three starts for the Rangers and is up to 60 pitches. He could make two more starts — including one in extended spring training after Opening Day — and be up to 90 pitches when the Rangers need a fifth starter on April 9 against the Rays.
The Rangers would rather have Lowe in the bullpen. They are ready to commit to Tepesch as their fifth starter. They just aren’t ready to make the official announcement.
Lowe posted a 5.52 ERA as a starter with the Cleveland Indians, but moved to the bullpen when he was signed as a free agent by the New York Yankees in mid-August. He had significantly more success as a reliever, posting a 3.04 ERA in 23.2 innings. As for Tepesch, he got his first taste of Double-A competition with Frisco last year, posting a 4.28 ERA in 90.1 innings.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (114)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)