Mariners pass on Jon Garland

Mar 22, 2013, 8:05 PM EDT

Jon Garland AP

Jon Garland earned eligibility on his opt-out clause today, which forced the Seattle Mariners to decide whether or not to add him to the starting rotation. GM Jack Zduriencik said he couldn’t commit to giving Garland a spot in the rotation, according to Ryan Divish on Twitter. More from Divish:

In 12 spring innings, Garland had posted a 2.25 ERA, but the Mariners may not have been encouraged by his allowing more walks than strikeouts (five to four). Already with a surfeit of contestants for spots in the back of the rotation, the Mariners will use the remaining week-plus to make a final decision.

Blake Beavan, Erasmo Ramirez, Brandon Maurer, and Jeremy Bonderman are still fighting it out for a big league job.

1. proudlycanadian - Mar 22, 2013 at 8:44 PM

It is possible that another team might be interested and has had “casual” contact with his agent. There are some weak rotations out there.

2. tuberippin - Mar 22, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I’d rather have Jon Garland at the back end of a rotation than Blake Beavan or Jeremy Bonderman. None of them can be worse than Hector Noesi, anyway.

I expect the Mariners rotation to end up being King Felix-Iwakuma-Saunders-Ramirez-Bonderman or Beavan…but I also anticipate that at least one, and maybe two, of those starters will falter and the Mariners will end up putting Danny Hultzen into the rotation, and potentially Taijuan Walker as well, though I think that’s more of a long shot.

• churdus - Mar 22, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Beavan hasn’t been consistent this spring and I think Iwa and Ramirez should have good years again. It’s nice to know who have waiting to come up but I wouldn’t rush it…all depends on the standings.

3. billymc75 - Mar 22, 2013 at 11:14 PM

watch Rangers step in

4. socalseahawker - Mar 23, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I think this move came down to the M’s front office wanting to use that 5 spot to see what they have. With so much young talent, I think they are going to use that spot though out the season to give some of these guys a taste and see how they react to it.

With the added offense and the closer fences, this team could be a surprise this year. Then again the will get a heavy dose of the Angels, Rangers and A’s. Sweet.

Hitters adjusting to Masahiro Tanaka