Mar 22, 2013, 10:45 PM EST
Is he a player that would not be in favor of any in-season contract talks?
“You know, once the season gets here, I’d rather focus on the year,” Wieters said. “Like I said, I am here for three years no matter what, so it’s not like we have to get something done during the year. We love Baltimore and right now we are happy and excited for this year.”
The 26-year-old Wieters doesn’t become a free agent until after the 2015 season. However, he and the Orioles agreed to a one-year, $5.5 million deal on January 18, avoiding arbitration in his first year of eligibility. The Orioles could save themselves some money by buying out the remaining two years and beyond.
Wieters hit 23 home runs, made the All-Star team for the second time, and won a second Gold Glove award as well last season.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)