Mar 22, 2013, 12:48 PM EST
He’s scheduled to go under the knife on April 1 and will miss the entire season.
Kelly, who was acquired from the Red Sox in the Adrian Gonzalez trade back in December of 2010, first complained of elbow soreness last April. He ended up being shut down for three months and made just 14 starts overall, with six of them coming for the Padres after his big-league debut in August.
Kelly has ranked among Baseball America‘s top-100 prospects in each of the past four seasons, including No. 45 overall this year, but the former first-round pick will be 24 years old by the time he throws his next pitch.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 24
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 23
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (83)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)