Mar 22, 2013, 12:48 PM EST
He’s scheduled to go under the knife on April 1 and will miss the entire season.
Kelly, who was acquired from the Red Sox in the Adrian Gonzalez trade back in December of 2010, first complained of elbow soreness last April. He ended up being shut down for three months and made just 14 starts overall, with six of them coming for the Padres after his big-league debut in August.
Kelly has ranked among Baseball America‘s top-100 prospects in each of the past four seasons, including No. 45 overall this year, but the former first-round pick will be 24 years old by the time he throws his next pitch.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 336
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (337)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)