Mar 22, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
He’s scheduled to go under the knife on April 1 and will miss the entire season.
Kelly, who was acquired from the Red Sox in the Adrian Gonzalez trade back in December of 2010, first complained of elbow soreness last April. He ended up being shut down for three months and made just 14 starts overall, with six of them coming for the Padres after his big-league debut in August.
Kelly has ranked among Baseball America‘s top-100 prospects in each of the past four seasons, including No. 45 overall this year, but the former first-round pick will be 24 years old by the time he throws his next pitch.
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 0
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 27
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)