Mar 22, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
He’s scheduled to go under the knife on April 1 and will miss the entire season.
Kelly, who was acquired from the Red Sox in the Adrian Gonzalez trade back in December of 2010, first complained of elbow soreness last April. He ended up being shut down for three months and made just 14 starts overall, with six of them coming for the Padres after his big-league debut in August.
Kelly has ranked among Baseball America‘s top-100 prospects in each of the past four seasons, including No. 45 overall this year, but the former first-round pick will be 24 years old by the time he throws his next pitch.
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 0
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 19
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 24
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)