Mar 22, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
He’s scheduled to go under the knife on April 1 and will miss the entire season.
Kelly, who was acquired from the Red Sox in the Adrian Gonzalez trade back in December of 2010, first complained of elbow soreness last April. He ended up being shut down for three months and made just 14 starts overall, with six of them coming for the Padres after his big-league debut in August.
Kelly has ranked among Baseball America‘s top-100 prospects in each of the past four seasons, including No. 45 overall this year, but the former first-round pick will be 24 years old by the time he throws his next pitch.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 50
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 11
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)