Mar 22, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
Kansas City gave up a ton to get Shields (and Wade Davis) from Tampa Bay this offseason, parting with a four-player package that included stud outfield prospect Wil Myers, and a huge part of any optimism surrounding the Royals is built on the premise that Shields will turn the rotation around.
He’ll be followed in the rotation by Ervin Santana, Jeremy Guthrie, Davis, and either Bruce Chen or Luis Mendoza, which is a big part of why I’m very skeptical about the Royals being legitimate contenders.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 48
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 25
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)