Royals name James Shields as Opening Day starter

Mar 22, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT

Royals Shields and Davis Baseball AP

Making official what was expected, manager Ned Yost announced that James Shields will get the Opening Day start for the Royals.

Kansas City gave up a ton to get Shields (and Wade Davis) from Tampa Bay this offseason, parting with a four-player package that included stud outfield prospect Wil Myers, and a huge part of any optimism surrounding the Royals is built on the premise that Shields will turn the rotation around.

He’ll be followed in the rotation by Ervin Santana, Jeremy Guthrie, Davis, and either Bruce Chen or Luis Mendoza, which is a big part of why I’m very skeptical about the Royals being legitimate contenders.

1. Old Gator - Mar 22, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I sure do hope that Shields loves good thick steaks and great jazz. Take KC for what it’s got. Try the basement room of the Majestic Steakhouse for a good dose of both, and if you hit it on the right off night you might get bassist supremo Lucky Wesley’s band.

• nategearhart - Mar 22, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Gator, I am pleased to report that the historic cigar club on the Majestic’s second floor has reopened after being closed for some time due to the smoking ban. Their eventually getting an exemption may or may not have had something to do with the new mayor being their best customer. Cigar fan or no, the real reason to go is their impeccable scotch menu and barkeep/encyclopedia Scotty. If you ever find yourself in KC again we should exchange Tom Pendergast stories over a Laphroiag or four.

• Old Gator - Mar 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM

As a nonsmoker the cigar bar was only something I was dimly aware of, but as long as they blow their smoke where it doesn’t get in my own lungs I’m a big fan of freedom-loving people courting oral and throat malignancies in the exercise of their ǿth Amendment rights. I always headed to the basement with images of great jazz and a lush juicy porterhouse dancing in my imagination.

Fine fermentations, on the other hand, are more then welcome to accost my palate at such times as I have provided myself with a teetotaling designated driver.

• imthewiz77 - Mar 23, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Laphroiag is delicious

2. shawnuel - Mar 22, 2013 at 2:03 PM

KC traded away a significant slice of their future for Shields. He BETTER be their opening day starter!

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto