Mar 22, 2013, 1:31 PM EDT
Scott Boras is the absolute best because when you need him at, say, an 8, he always goes to 14. Today he talks to Bob Nightengale about the dilemma Kyle Lohse is in right now, and how the changes to the draft pick compensation and free agency systems have led to perverse incentives. But rather than say something along those lines, he puts it thusly:
Now, you’ve taken away the structure of the scouting and developing. They have stolen our youth. They have kidnapped our children in this system.”
Look, life sucks for Kyle Lohse right now, but isn’t that a bit … dramatic? Scott Boras: the Morrissey of sports agents.
But he’s not all fretting. He actually argues in the article that Lohse has everyone right where he wants them. Which is another awesome thing about Boras. Dude just never, ever admits that things are bad.
Of course, he has a long track record of things turning out much better for him and his clients than most of us expect, so who knows?
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 4
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 52
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)