Mar 22, 2013, 1:31 PM EDT
Scott Boras is the absolute best because when you need him at, say, an 8, he always goes to 14. Today he talks to Bob Nightengale about the dilemma Kyle Lohse is in right now, and how the changes to the draft pick compensation and free agency systems have led to perverse incentives. But rather than say something along those lines, he puts it thusly:
Now, you’ve taken away the structure of the scouting and developing. They have stolen our youth. They have kidnapped our children in this system.”
Look, life sucks for Kyle Lohse right now, but isn’t that a bit … dramatic? Scott Boras: the Morrissey of sports agents.
But he’s not all fretting. He actually argues in the article that Lohse has everyone right where he wants them. Which is another awesome thing about Boras. Dude just never, ever admits that things are bad.
Of course, he has a long track record of things turning out much better for him and his clients than most of us expect, so who knows?
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (116)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)