Mar 22, 2013, 9:42 AM EDT
Obviously looking to make friends, Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune argues that the historic Wrigley Field scoreboard should be replaced:
I would find out if there’s a way to keep the exterior of the monster intact and replace the guts with the digital works for a giant replay screen and modern scoreboard. If it is too delicate for such a reconstruction, I would build a replica that keeps the exact same dimensions and exterior that houses a video board.
All of this is based on the assumption that the team (a) could realize $20 million a year in revenue from a modern jumbotron; and (b) will not be allowed to build a modern jumbotron behind the left field bleachers while keeping the old scoreboard as-is.
If those assumptions are true — and I have no way of knowing if they are — Rogers is right. The scoreboard is cool and quaint, but it’s also antiquated. I’d keep it if at all possible, but if it’s preventing the Cubs from maximizing revenue and keeping fans from getting the sort of information that they’ve grown accustomed to getting in other parks, it’s kind of a problem.
My guess: they’re able to build that jumbotron in left or they’re able to build a new centerfield scoreboard that incorporates both video boards and the pleasing aesthetics of the current one.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 5
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 14
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)