Mar 22, 2013, 9:42 AM EDT
Obviously looking to make friends, Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune argues that the historic Wrigley Field scoreboard should be replaced:
I would find out if there’s a way to keep the exterior of the monster intact and replace the guts with the digital works for a giant replay screen and modern scoreboard. If it is too delicate for such a reconstruction, I would build a replica that keeps the exact same dimensions and exterior that houses a video board.
All of this is based on the assumption that the team (a) could realize $20 million a year in revenue from a modern jumbotron; and (b) will not be allowed to build a modern jumbotron behind the left field bleachers while keeping the old scoreboard as-is.
If those assumptions are true — and I have no way of knowing if they are — Rogers is right. The scoreboard is cool and quaint, but it’s also antiquated. I’d keep it if at all possible, but if it’s preventing the Cubs from maximizing revenue and keeping fans from getting the sort of information that they’ve grown accustomed to getting in other parks, it’s kind of a problem.
My guess: they’re able to build that jumbotron in left or they’re able to build a new centerfield scoreboard that incorporates both video boards and the pleasing aesthetics of the current one.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 4
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 15
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)