Mar 22, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
Nationals fans collectively held their breath after Stephen Strasburg was hit on the arm by a Prince Fielder line drive. A Ryan Theriot line drive, you’re probably going to be okay, but a Prince Fielder liner? I’d preemptively draft a will before ever throwing him a pitch.
Strasburg, though, is just fine. Via Mark Zuckerman:
In the end, there was nothing for everyone to be worried about. The fourth-inning comebacker caught Strasburg on the fleshy pad of his left thumb, not on a less-protected part of his hand, wrist or forearm. And after a couple minutes spent getting the feeling back in the hand and then throwing a couple of warm-up tosses, Strasburg was back to his old self, striking out a pair of Tigers to end the inning and continue his Grapefruit League start unabated.
“It’s fine,” the right-hander insisted afterward. “It just kind of numbed up a little bit out there. It’s a little tender, but nothing crazy.”
In his first full season last year, Strasburg posted a 3.16 ERA, leading all starters in strikeout rate at the age of 23.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 121
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)