Mar 22, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
Nationals fans collectively held their breath after Stephen Strasburg was hit on the arm by a Prince Fielder line drive. A Ryan Theriot line drive, you’re probably going to be okay, but a Prince Fielder liner? I’d preemptively draft a will before ever throwing him a pitch.
Strasburg, though, is just fine. Via Mark Zuckerman:
In the end, there was nothing for everyone to be worried about. The fourth-inning comebacker caught Strasburg on the fleshy pad of his left thumb, not on a less-protected part of his hand, wrist or forearm. And after a couple minutes spent getting the feeling back in the hand and then throwing a couple of warm-up tosses, Strasburg was back to his old self, striking out a pair of Tigers to end the inning and continue his Grapefruit League start unabated.
“It’s fine,” the right-hander insisted afterward. “It just kind of numbed up a little bit out there. It’s a little tender, but nothing crazy.”
In his first full season last year, Strasburg posted a 3.16 ERA, leading all starters in strikeout rate at the age of 23.
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 0
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 28
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)