Mar 22, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
ESPN’s Adam Rubin reports that Mets GM Sandy Alderson doesn’t have any plans to bolster a very weak outfield:
Sandy Alderson said there is no cavalry coming to the rescue in the outfield. That means it will be Lucas Duda, Collin Cowgill, Marlon Byrd, Mike Baxter and Jordany Valdespin in the outfield in some configuration to open the season in all likelihood, as long as Valdespin isn’t pressed into infield duty by injuries.
“We’re going to go with the guys we have,” Alderson told Newsday about the outfield.
Last season, the Mets had the fifth-worst-hitting outfield in the big leagues going by weighted on-base average (wOBA), found at FanGraphs. The average wOBA for an NL outfield last year was .327; the Mets were found at .309. Their outfield has only gotten worse.
Since 1990, only seven outfields have been so weak as to post a wOBA under .300:
Of the five outfielders the Mets plan to use on their 25-man roster, only Duda (.325 wOBA) is expected to have any proficiency with the bat, according to Dan Szymborski’s ZiPS projection system. It is going to be a long year in Queens.
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 3
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 42
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 33
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)