Mar 22, 2013, 7:01 PM EST
ESPN’s Adam Rubin reports that Mets GM Sandy Alderson doesn’t have any plans to bolster a very weak outfield:
Sandy Alderson said there is no cavalry coming to the rescue in the outfield. That means it will be Lucas Duda, Collin Cowgill, Marlon Byrd, Mike Baxter and Jordany Valdespin in the outfield in some configuration to open the season in all likelihood, as long as Valdespin isn’t pressed into infield duty by injuries.
“We’re going to go with the guys we have,” Alderson told Newsday about the outfield.
Last season, the Mets had the fifth-worst-hitting outfield in the big leagues going by weighted on-base average (wOBA), found at FanGraphs. The average wOBA for an NL outfield last year was .327; the Mets were found at .309. Their outfield has only gotten worse.
Since 1990, only seven outfields have been so weak as to post a wOBA under .300:
Of the five outfielders the Mets plan to use on their 25-man roster, only Duda (.325 wOBA) is expected to have any proficiency with the bat, according to Dan Szymborski’s ZiPS projection system. It is going to be a long year in Queens.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)