Mar 22, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
ESPN’s Adam Rubin reports that Mets GM Sandy Alderson doesn’t have any plans to bolster a very weak outfield:
Sandy Alderson said there is no cavalry coming to the rescue in the outfield. That means it will be Lucas Duda, Collin Cowgill, Marlon Byrd, Mike Baxter and Jordany Valdespin in the outfield in some configuration to open the season in all likelihood, as long as Valdespin isn’t pressed into infield duty by injuries.
“We’re going to go with the guys we have,” Alderson told Newsday about the outfield.
Last season, the Mets had the fifth-worst-hitting outfield in the big leagues going by weighted on-base average (wOBA), found at FanGraphs. The average wOBA for an NL outfield last year was .327; the Mets were found at .309. Their outfield has only gotten worse.
Since 1990, only seven outfields have been so weak as to post a wOBA under .300:
Of the five outfielders the Mets plan to use on their 25-man roster, only Duda (.325 wOBA) is expected to have any proficiency with the bat, according to Dan Szymborski’s ZiPS projection system. It is going to be a long year in Queens.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)