Mar 22, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
ESPN’s Adam Rubin reports that Mets GM Sandy Alderson doesn’t have any plans to bolster a very weak outfield:
Sandy Alderson said there is no cavalry coming to the rescue in the outfield. That means it will be Lucas Duda, Collin Cowgill, Marlon Byrd, Mike Baxter and Jordany Valdespin in the outfield in some configuration to open the season in all likelihood, as long as Valdespin isn’t pressed into infield duty by injuries.
“We’re going to go with the guys we have,” Alderson told Newsday about the outfield.
Last season, the Mets had the fifth-worst-hitting outfield in the big leagues going by weighted on-base average (wOBA), found at FanGraphs. The average wOBA for an NL outfield last year was .327; the Mets were found at .309. Their outfield has only gotten worse.
Since 1990, only seven outfields have been so weak as to post a wOBA under .300:
Of the five outfielders the Mets plan to use on their 25-man roster, only Duda (.325 wOBA) is expected to have any proficiency with the bat, according to Dan Szymborski’s ZiPS projection system. It is going to be a long year in Queens.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)