The NFL caves: the Ravens to open on the road, preserving the O’s-White Sox September 5 game

Mar 22, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT

That conflict in which the Baltimore Ravens wanted to open up at home on September 5 but couldn’t because the Orioles and White Sox were playing that same night? The NFL caved:

Man, Roger Goodell loses another high-profile showdown. Someone check on Michael Silver, will ya? Based on what he wrote on Tuesday, I feel like he’s watching his dad get beat up or something.

1. fearthehoody - Mar 22, 2013 at 7:49 PM

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time! Small victory for the people vs Goodell. Nonetheless, a victory!

2. jlinatl - Mar 22, 2013 at 10:40 PM

We don’t really know why the negotiations worked the way they did but it seems silly to think MLB won. Won what? I suspect that if the Ravens open that Thursday night that attendance and ratings wil be way down for the Orioles. How is that a win? But a change just may not have been viable for the city or the White Sox. Again not really a win. I just don’t see it as a win or a loss

For the record. I hat Thursday night NFL. Overkill. But I don’t think it hurts the NFL to have the Ravens start on the road or on Sunday.

3. jm91rs - Mar 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I’m glad they didn’t cave, and perhaps in future years they can work this into the schedule “hey bud, don’t schedule any games for teams in nfl cities on the first Thursday of my season and I won’t schedule Sunday night football during your World Series”. They already have to coordinate some, Oakland seems to do ok sharing a stadium. Bud finally has something roger needs, he should take advantage of it.

Let’s see the ratings for each event afterwards. Then try to tell me bud won anything. The nfl is king right now. As a fan of both its a lot easier for me to miss 1 of 162 than 1 of 16.

4. ralphb14 - Mar 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM

It’s gotta be @ Pittsburgh. C’mon! NFL has to go BIG on this one.

• flavadave10 - Mar 24, 2013 at 8:03 AM

If they want to go big, Denver. Miami could be a possibility too.

5. scoobies05 - Mar 23, 2013 at 4:01 PM

before i begin let me just say to philliesblow…you are a total jackass. as a baltimorean and fan of both teams i gotta say this is totally on the nfl. the nfl season opener can be played at any time…but mr goodell is having a tantrum because he cant have his way. the rosh hashona arguement is ridiculous…its still rosh hashona on thursday. and the have played on rosh hashona yom kippur kwanzaa christmas and chanukkah. the we cant play wednesday arguement is just as bad…they did it last year. so please ravens fans….dont blame the orioles..even if they wanted to move who is to say the white sox would have agreed to it. this farce is totally on commish goodell and the nfl.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2773)