Mar 22, 2013, 5:40 PM EST
This was reported yesterday, but today the Reds officially announced it: Aroldis Chapman will be the closer.
Walt Jocketty made the announcement at Reds camp today. He added that Jonathan Broxton will be the setup man and Mike Leake is in the rotation. He added that he had not, contrary to popular opinion, been pushing for Chapman to be in the rotation. This provides some support to Dusty Baker who, likely in keeping with popular opinion, wants to keep Chapman in the pen.
All in all: not the biggest deal in the world. As a matter of principle we should all want good pitchers being tested as starters unless or until it is shown that they can’t do it, simply because 170 innings of good starting is worth way more than 60 innings of great relief. But in this particular case — a team with a pretty solid rotation as it is — it’s probably not gonna make the biggest difference on the planet. At least not now.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)