Tim Hudson threw Adam LaRoche an eephus pitch

Mar 22, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT

Tim Hudson AP AP

In yesterday’s Nationals-Braves game Adam LaRoche came to the plate against his longtime friend and former teammate Tim Hudson and jokingly signaled for a knuckleball.

Hudson figured why not and tossed a 47-mph pitch to the plate for a ball. “I didn’t think he would do it,” LaRoche told Bill Ladson of MLB.com afterward. “I should have known better.”

And then LaRoche lined a sharp single to right field on a fastball later in the at-bat.

Here’s the MLB.com video:

1. professormaddog31 - Mar 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I love when good friends face each other like that; the goofiest stuff happens and it’s always freaking hilarious.

2. El Bravo - Mar 22, 2013 at 12:02 PM

OH, OPENING DAY! WHY DOST THOU TAKE SO LONG TO ARRIVE?

3. dlf9 - Mar 22, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I’m sorry but this is blog-fail. How can you reference a 47 m.p.h. pitch to Adam LaRoche, son of Dave LaRoche, and not reference dad’s LaLob?

• dlf9 - Mar 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I don’t know how to enbed this, but LaRoche striking out Gorman Thomas in Yankee stadium on a pitch that couldn’t have broken the speed limit in a school zone.

• sabatimus - Mar 22, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Now THIS is an eephus pitch. Hudson’s really wasn’t close to an eephus pitch, though it should have been called a strike.

• beefytrout - Mar 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM

sabatimus is correct on both counts. The ball has to at least go higher than the batter’s head to even earn eephus consideration.

And Hudson’s pitch looked like a strike too.

4. sophiethegreatdane - Mar 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I’m glad sabatimus chimed in above. That was not an eephus pitch.

5. thegreatstoneface - Mar 22, 2013 at 3:56 PM

needs a lot more rainbow to it, to be an eephus…

6. sanzarq - Mar 22, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Thanks for posting the La La Lob. Hilarious!

7. westcoastredbird - Mar 22, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Rip Sewell made a living off of the eephus ball. In fact he may have invented it. I was hoping that Aroldis Chapman would add it to his repitoire. Go Redbirds!

• sabatimus - Mar 22, 2013 at 9:30 PM

If I remember correctly, Ted Williams saw an eephus pitch once and swung and missed. He saw it a second time and crushed it into the bleachers.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win