Mar 22, 2013, 9:01 PM EST
This morning, Aaron posted about Braves starter Tim Hudson throwing Nationals first baseman and former Brave Adam LaRoche an “eephus” pitch in the top of the second inning during this afternoon’s Grapefruit League exhibition. Bill Ladson reported on the hijinks between the two:
“He is such a buddy of mine,” LaRoche said. “Another [time], he went to switch balls and then threw one at my head. The ball went all the way to the backstop. He likes having fun, apparently. I gave him the knuckleball signal walking up. I didn’t think he would do it. I should have known better.”
Perhaps coincidental, but Adam’s father Dave famously threw an eephus pitch in 1981 when he was with the Yankees:
Tip of the cap to /r/Baseball for the video.
Paul Jackson wrote about the pitch for ESPN back in 2008:
At a mound conference, it was nearly decided that the right-handed slugger would be pitched around, but LaRoche somehow persuaded his manager, Bob Lemon, to let him bait Thomas with four “slow curves” out of the strike zone. If the slugger laid off, he could have his free pass.
Thomas, for his part, did not want to walk. He no doubt wanted a piece of Dave LaRoche and his mediocre stuff, and the reliever obliged, throwing Thomas the slowest pitch he’d ever seen. LaLob missed outside, ball one. Lemon — who had never known a “slow curve” to rise out of view from the dugout — blinked and rubbed his eyes. Thomas, who had a much better look, nonetheless could not believe it.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)