Mar 22, 2013, 9:20 PM EST
The news comes via Jon Heyman on Twitter.
Wang drew interest after a strong showing in the World Baseball Classic with Chinese Taipei. The right-hander did not allow a run in 12 innings of work, surrendering ten hits and just one walk.
Wang spent the last two seasons with the Washington Nationals without much success, posting an aggregate 4.94 ERA in 94.2 innings. He missed time last year due to a left thigh strain and a right hip strain. Prior to that, he missed the latter half of the 2009 season, all of 2010, and the first half of the 2011 season due to right shoulder surgery.
Heyman suggests the signing gives the Yankees flexibility to make a trade:
If Wang pitches like he did in wbc, potentially could allow yanks to trade hughes or nova for a hitter
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) March 23, 2013
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 14
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 41
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15