Mar 22, 2013, 9:20 PM EST
The news comes via Jon Heyman on Twitter.
Wang drew interest after a strong showing in the World Baseball Classic with Chinese Taipei. The right-hander did not allow a run in 12 innings of work, surrendering ten hits and just one walk.
Wang spent the last two seasons with the Washington Nationals without much success, posting an aggregate 4.94 ERA in 94.2 innings. He missed time last year due to a left thigh strain and a right hip strain. Prior to that, he missed the latter half of the 2009 season, all of 2010, and the first half of the 2011 season due to right shoulder surgery.
Heyman suggests the signing gives the Yankees flexibility to make a trade:
If Wang pitches like he did in wbc, potentially could allow yanks to trade hughes or nova for a hitter
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) March 23, 2013
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)