Mar 23, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT
Cedeno, 30, will provide some middle infield depth for the Astros, who have yet to see either Tyler Greene or Marwin Gonzalez seize the starting shortstop job. Cedeno has played mostly shortstop in his career, but he can play second.
Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow couldn’t be reached for comment.
The deal is pending a physical.
Cedeno had his best offensive showing last year with the Mets, albeit in a meager 186 trips to the plate. Posting an OPS between .593 and .680 from 2006-11, he finished 2012 with a .741 OPS. Now 30, the Astros are hoping he can provide some stability in the infield on an otherwise young roster.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 4
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 11
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (87)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (75)