Mar 23, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
UPDATE: Good news. Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik told Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times that Montero does not have a concussion.
5:01 PM: Scary moment in this afternoon’s Cactus League game between the Mariners and Indians.
According to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, Mariners catcher Jesus Montero made an early exit after he was hit in the head by the backswing of Indians prospect shortstop Francisco Lindor. He was down on the ground for a few moments before getting to his feet and being carted off to the clubhouse. Baker notes that he looked “woozy” and had a big lump on his forehead.
Montero will presumably be sent for tests to rule out a possible concussion. It’s worth noting that he suffered a concussion last July when he took a foul tip off his facemask.
If Montero it turns out that he needs a stint on the disabled list, Kelly Shoppach would serve as the starting catcher. Baker speculates that the Mariners would likely carry Jesus Sucre as a backup, but they would have to add him to the 40-man roster.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)