Mar 23, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
UPDATE: Good news. Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik told Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times that Montero does not have a concussion.
5:01 PM: Scary moment in this afternoon’s Cactus League game between the Mariners and Indians.
According to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, Mariners catcher Jesus Montero made an early exit after he was hit in the head by the backswing of Indians prospect shortstop Francisco Lindor. He was down on the ground for a few moments before getting to his feet and being carted off to the clubhouse. Baker notes that he looked “woozy” and had a big lump on his forehead.
Montero will presumably be sent for tests to rule out a possible concussion. It’s worth noting that he suffered a concussion last July when he took a foul tip off his facemask.
If Montero it turns out that he needs a stint on the disabled list, Kelly Shoppach would serve as the starting catcher. Baker speculates that the Mariners would likely carry Jesus Sucre as a backup, but they would have to add him to the 40-man roster.
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a serious Achilles injury Saturday night 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 4
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 89
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)