Mar 23, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
UPDATE: Good news. Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik told Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times that Montero does not have a concussion.
5:01 PM: Scary moment in this afternoon’s Cactus League game between the Mariners and Indians.
According to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, Mariners catcher Jesus Montero made an early exit after he was hit in the head by the backswing of Indians prospect shortstop Francisco Lindor. He was down on the ground for a few moments before getting to his feet and being carted off to the clubhouse. Baker notes that he looked “woozy” and had a big lump on his forehead.
Montero will presumably be sent for tests to rule out a possible concussion. It’s worth noting that he suffered a concussion last July when he took a foul tip off his facemask.
If Montero it turns out that he needs a stint on the disabled list, Kelly Shoppach would serve as the starting catcher. Baker speculates that the Mariners would likely carry Jesus Sucre as a backup, but they would have to add him to the 40-man roster.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)