Mar 23, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
According to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald, the Marlins have signed infielder Wilson Valdez to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Valdez was released by the Giants yesterday after he batted just .194 (7-for-36) in 18 games during Cactus League play. However, he’ll now have a chance to beat out Matt Downs, Nick Green and Chris Valaika for a utility infielder job in Miami.
Valdez, who turns 35 in May, batted just .206/.236/.227 in 208 plate appearances with the Reds last season.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 23
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 183
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)