Mar 23, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
According to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald, the Marlins have signed infielder Wilson Valdez to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Valdez was released by the Giants yesterday after he batted just .194 (7-for-36) in 18 games during Cactus League play. However, he’ll now have a chance to beat out Matt Downs, Nick Green and Chris Valaika for a utility infielder job in Miami.
Valdez, who turns 35 in May, batted just .206/.236/.227 in 208 plate appearances with the Reds last season.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (248)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)