Marlins sign infielder Wilson Valdez to minor league contract

Mar 23, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT

Wilson Valdez AP AP

According to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald, the Marlins have signed infielder Wilson Valdez to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Valdez was released by the Giants yesterday after he batted just .194 (7-for-36) in 18 games during Cactus League play. However, he’ll now have a chance to beat out Matt Downs, Nick Green and Chris Valaika for a utility infielder job in Miami.

Valdez, who turns 35 in May, batted just .206/.236/.227 in 208 plate appearances with the Reds last season.

1. Old Gator - Mar 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM

The way the Feesh are stockpiling easily expendable warm bodies, you might suspect they were more likely to embark upon a military misadventure in the Caribbean than a baseball season. Wouldn’t you rather hear about my recipe for garlic chimichurri sauce?

• scratchnsniffnblog - Mar 23, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I’d rather you give me some words of wisdom about what to do when i finish law school next year.

• Old Gator - Mar 23, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Scratchnsniff: go study for the Gowachin bar and become a Legum, like Craig. This is the only legal system which will allow you to understand and profit from the legal bagatelles decanted from the PED crockpot – and, clearly, that’s where the money is.

• Old Gator - Mar 23, 2013 at 1:06 PM

BTW, the offer of the garlic chimichurri sauce recipe is still open.

• Old Gator - Mar 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Ooops, hey, it’s early and my liquid pacemaker hasn’t quite circulated through my cerebral capillaries yet but let me get a handle on this: two days ago the Feesh released Chone Figgins, who batted .308 among the grapefruits, and today they signed Wilson Valdez, who batted .194 among the cacti? Does Scrooge McLoria get to discount the league minimum based on slash lines?

• Old Gator - Mar 23, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Wait, wait, I get it now – you put a dried-out slash line in high humidity and it swells up to twice its desiccated size?

• paperlions - Mar 23, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I’d love to hear about the garlic chimichurri sauce as well as some usage recommendations for it. Thanks.

• Old Gator - Mar 23, 2013 at 4:40 PM

You’re on. Chimichurri is usually fairly bland – salt, pepper, a little garlic, a lot of flat-leaf parsley and a quarter of a cup of olive oil. However. to this time-honored template I add another four or five small to medium garlic cloves (and sometimes more), a half a cup of cilantro and a half onion, chopped. Throw it all in a blender, puree, and use as a condiment for skirt steak (known to Macondoans as churrasco), serve over other meats except maybe for fillet or other Cadillac cuts – this is a workingman’s sauce, comrades – or over fried or grilled feesh, I tried it over scrambled eggs once or twice. I like it that way but I can see how it would be an acquired taste.

• Old Gator - Mar 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM

PS – goes great as a dip or spread for garlic bread.

• paperlions - Mar 23, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Muchisimas gracias!

• indaburg - Mar 23, 2013 at 9:54 PM

OG, that recipe sounds fantastic. I’m going to try it. I believe there is no such thing as too much garlic.

• Old Gator - Mar 24, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Ah, then you must read the wondrous novelist Jim (Legends of the Fall) Harrison’s book on eating (as opposed to merely cooking, I mean), The Raw and the Cooked (not to be confused with the tome by the same name by structural anthropologist Levi-Strauss, hyphenated in order not to confuse him with the world-renowned manufacturer of grossly overpriced dungarees). Harrison, like moi, is a great Dionysian celebrant of garlic and writes about it rhapsodically – as he writes about all things.

2. DelawarePhilliesFan - Mar 23, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Good guy – past his prime, if he ever had one.

But hey – he is the only player since 1920 to start a game in the field, and end up as the winning pitcher. Even shook off the cathcer on a few pitches. Ohhhhh, the memories…..

3. leerosenthall - Mar 23, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I have to say that, with everyone picking the Marlins to be epically bad this season, and with the addition of several of my favorite has-been Phillies (Pierre, Polanco and now Valdez, whom as Delaware rightly points out probably never had a prime, but sure had a significant role in one of the most memorable games I’ve ever seen), I’m kind of getting warm feelings for the Feesh.

Maybe Loria will make a play for Roy Halladay too (who just got hammered by a bunch of minor leaguers) and can market the Marlins to ambivalent Phillies fans? We old-timers are used to really bad baseball teams and that certain unexplained charm that only they can bring.

Looking forward to many excellent recipes from Professor Gator this season and would like to know if he would also consider providing college advising to rising high school seniors on the side this season, because I’d much rather spend the summer here on HBT than on College Confidential. Sir, what’s your opinion on New College of Florida?

• Old Gator - Mar 23, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Everything I’ve heard about it makes it sound like Esalen Institute East. I doubt if they’d let you tunnel into the compost heap and set up housekeeping there the way they used to at Esalen, but it shounds like an ideal environment for precocious, bright – very bright, I mean – disaffected students who want to give their imaginations freer reign than they would at, say, University of South Florida. Give ye an example: I just checked the NCF home page to see what their current “events” list looked like and found this: “Proust Project Sarasota: Proust, the Arts and Neuroscience.”

I mean, come on, man. That’s glorious. Most universities would consider that overkill for their graduate programs. This place assumes that you’ve got a mind in your brain.

That, plus you’ll be a moderate bike ride from the Ringling Brothers Circus Museum, with its – are you ready for this? – Hall of Horse Drawn Steam Calliope Wagons!!!!

Why in Buddha’s name would you want to go anywhere else?

• Old Gator - Mar 23, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Ah, and as long as we were talking about food above, I should also point out that you’d be a short drive from Sarasota’s premier breakfasting establishment, The Broken Egg. It has variously configured pancakes to kill for – nothing so passive as to die for, mind you – and you might luck out and catch Dick Vitale holding forth on college hoops there. It’s his “local,” as they say.

One other thing – you would also be a hop, skip and a jump over the Sunshine Skyway from the Salvador Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, which has now been moved far enough south so that you no longer have to offend your eyes upon that concrete carbuncle where the Tampa Bay Razed are interred. In the Dali museum you will be able to watch “Destino” on a video loop – a collaboration between Dali and Walt Disney’s animators that Disney found a little too weird to include in Fantasia. And if you’ve seen Fantasia (may the Buddha be merciful unto your reincarnating Atman if you haven’t), you can imagine how weird it had to be to fail to make the cut.

• leerosenthall - Mar 23, 2013 at 6:13 PM

OG, many thanks for your thoughts. We’re in PA, but from what I understand, NCF is one of the few public schools that offers merit money to get out-of-state kids to come.

It initially piqued my interest because it sounded like a little Reed or Oberlin, only with more sunshine, and not too far from Clearwater, where the Phillies go for Spring Training. Ringling Bros? Dali museum? Great breakfasts? SOLD!

FYI: My kid was a card-carrying Pastafarian for a while; now he’s just agnostic. ;-)

• leerosenthall - Mar 23, 2013 at 6:28 PM

P.S. I’m a Philadelphian. Of course I’ve seen Fantasia!

• leerosenthall - Mar 23, 2013 at 6:32 PM

P.P.S. Do you know Stuart Samuels? I took his hugely popular “Film as Social and Intellectual History” as an undergrad. I always think of that class when I read your very entertaining posts.

• Old Gator - Mar 23, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I know Samuels’ Midnight Movies, of course – I read it when it first came out in the mid-80s because it had one of the few intelligent discussions of one of my alltime favorite films, El Topo, ever published, and loved the rest of it.

• scratchnsniffnblog - Mar 23, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Lee,

A dear friend of mine went to New College and I visited her many times while she was there. I’m assuming it hasn’t changed much since 2000 because the whole place is apparently immune to the touch of Father Time. New College is a portal to the 1960′s. There are many open-minded, intelligent individuals.

If you don’t mind hippies, can exercise moderation in the use of drugs, are not particularly averse to poor hygiene, and have the discipline for a loosely structured academic environment, then NCF is probably not a bad deal for the money.

I don’t think The Broken Egg was around back then, but I would raft through a sea of patchouli oil for a good breakfast restaurant.

• leerosenthall - Mar 24, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Many thanks, scratchsniff!

My kid has ADHD, so he’s naturally high. While other kids are stealing Ritalin to perform on tests, he takes it so he can find his way from the locker room to the pool (more Shane Victorino than Carlos Ruiz, to make a baseball comparison). He doesn’t do drugs himself, but he’s nonjudgmental about those who do. Doesn’t sound like NCF is any worse than Reed, Oberlin or many of the other liberal arts colleges we’re looking at. Another addition to that “category” of college, if you will.

And The Broken Egg sounds it could rival Fisherman’s Porch in Portland!

4. officialgame - Mar 23, 2013 at 3:24 PM

He’s a Loria type of guy, Hispanic, can’t hit, and works cheap.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3476)