Mar 23, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT
Pablo Sandoval tried to play catch on Saturday but even light duty proved too much, Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. Sandoval’s elbow remained sore, so the Giants shut him down and will reevaluate him on Sunday.
“We had to back off a little,” Bochy said. “We’ll see how he feels tomorrow.”
Sandoval has a bone spur in the back of his elbow that’s been there for several years and may or may not be contributing to an irritated ulnar nerve.
When he has been able to play, Sandoval has looked good in spring, currently sitting on a .435 average in 23 at-bats. But the 2012 World Series MVP would need to make some big strides health-wise to be ready for Opening Day.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)