Red Sox likely to head north without Daniel Bard

Mar 23, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT

Daniel Bard AP

ESPN Boston’s Gordon Edes thinks the Red Sox open the season with right-hander Daniel Bard with Triple-A Pawtucket:

How Farrell plans to deploy his bullpen at the start of the season is coming into sharper focus. First, even though he says the team has yet to make a decision regarding Daniel Bard, all signs point to Bard opening the season in Pawtucket, which puts Clayton Mortensen on the club.

Between ten starts and seven relief appearances in the big leagues last year, Bard finished with a 6.22 ERA with a significantly-reduced ability to miss bats and a ballooning walk rate. He wasn’t much better in the 32 innings with Pawtucket in the middle of 2012 either, as he posted a 7.03 ERA and a 32-to-29 strikeout-to-walk ratio there. Bard’s star has fallen since being a two-time top-100 prospect as ranked by Baseball America going into the 2007 and 2009 seasons.

1. randygnyc - Mar 23, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I’m not sad to see the sox destroy this kids career, but I’m shocked to see it happen. I was as sure as anyone that Bard was cant miss. His potential had everyone in the AL shaking in their boots. Myself included.

• aceshigh11 - Mar 23, 2013 at 11:54 PM

So you’re happy this guy’s career might be over simply because you hate the Red Sox?

• 18thstreet - Mar 24, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Just be happy he didn’t do it with any racial undertones, as he always does when he comments on Carl Crawford. This is progress.

Nice work, Randy! You’re growing as a human being.

• drewzducks - Mar 24, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Randi would have been better off making the same comments about his beloved Joba.

• dan1111 - Mar 24, 2013 at 3:47 AM

You’re in the AL?

• turdfurgerson68 - Mar 24, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Why all the doon and gloom about Bard? He’s still young; it might take a little time to get back to his old, dominate play.

And randygayc…when Mariano when down last season, don’t think one Red Sox fan was happy to see it. Relieved to not have to face him, yes…happy about his injury, no.

Typical Yankee hypocrite. Enjoy 4th play this season.

• uyf1950 - Mar 24, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Turd… I absolute hate it when some fans like yourself include all fans into a comment. Maybe it’s not the “typical Yankee fans” that are hypocrites. Maybe it’s just you.

• turdfurgerson68 - Mar 24, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I’m no hypocrite, but I do apologize for lumping you in with your fellow Yankee brethren

Unfortunately, you have to admit that Yankee fandom is rift with clown-like figures. Why else would someone manufacture this, ha ha?

• uyf1950 - Mar 24, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Turd, I think the better question is why did whoever that did that jacket leave off the 2009 Title and only show 26 World Titles. Just kidding, but listen regardless of what you may or may not think of the poster “randygnyc” I’ve never met the gentlemen and from other comments I’ve read of his here he is obviously passionate about the Yankees and personally I have no problem with that. Assuming you are a Red Sox fan (and I apologize if that’s not the case) I would only like to point out that that I’ve read on this very site some unflattering comments about Yankee players injuries here by Red Sox fans. I would just prefer that before any fan criticizes an entire fan base of any team they look inward at their own teams fan base. That’s just my opinion.

• turdfurgerson68 - Mar 24, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Yeah, many Sox fans be complete chowdaheads unfortunately…can’t deny that.

2. proudlycanadian - Mar 24, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Bard seemed to lose it in September 2011. He had a bad month and has never recovered.

3. doublezero74 - Mar 24, 2013 at 8:07 AM

he’ll be fine after he works with Farrell a little longer. he still has the raw tools to dominate. what a disaster the Valentine year was, Bard was like roadkill on the way towards to 30 car pileup that season turned out to be

• 18thstreet - Mar 24, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I don’t think this one can be blamed on Valentine. It was the front office who wanted to make him a starter.

4. kjericho43 - Mar 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Last year Bard wanted to start. You can’t put it all on management. He’s looked better this spring. He needs some more time though. (only 6 innings so far) His downward spiral started at the end of 2011 actually. Hopefully he fixes himself with a few more weeks in AAA. He’s a good dude.

5. uyf1950 - Mar 24, 2013 at 1:22 PM

After more then a year of being wild if that’s what you want to call it, it looks more and more like Bard has a case of the Rick Ankiel’s. I’m not sure he will ever make it back to being a major league ballplayer.

• abaird2012 - Mar 24, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Ankiel did.

• uyf1950 - Mar 24, 2013 at 1:50 PM

But NOT as a pitcher. He was never to be seen again in that capacity. Oh he tried a couple of comebacks as a pitcher if my memories correct but they didn’t amount to anything. Again so in my opinion IF Bard wants to continue him ML career he might think about changing positions.

6. theskinsman - Mar 24, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Some yanks fans hope this kid can’t make it back, but watching what Farrell did to get Lester back on track gives this Sox fan hope he can get Bard back as well. It’s not like he’s a mental defective like Joba who is unable to reclaim his lost stuff over a longer period of time.

• uyf1950 - Mar 24, 2013 at 3:46 PM

theskinsman, I won’t bother to address your comment about Joba because that’s just plan ignorant. But as for Lester so you are ready to say Lester’s back based on 20 innings of ST pitching much of which is against opposing teams prospects and wannabees. I guess that in itself is enough of an explanation of your comment about Joba. Have a good day.

• theskinsman - Mar 26, 2013 at 4:59 AM

If you ever get out of your Jeter jammies and put down the kool-aid, you might learn that Farrell is the guy who developed Bucholtz and Lester. He MIGHT know a thing or two about their mechanics and tempo.
        But, hey, if you want to discredit the cause and effect,have at it. After all, your favorite team can coach catapillar lip to wear his cap so low like he rode the short bus to whatever grade he got social promotions. In your mind,I’m sure that equals returning to form.Carry on.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3205)