Mar 23, 2013, 2:31 PM EDT
There have been numerous reports downplaying the Rangers’ interest in free agent right-hander Kyle Lohse. But it’s clear that they haven’t completely dismissed him as an option for their rotation.
According to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com, the Rangers sent a scout to watch Lohse throw his latest simulated game at a community college in Arizona. Still, it appears to be a matter of due diligence more than anything else.
As of now, rookie right-hander Nick Tepesch is the favorite for the fifth spot in the Rangers’ rotation, though it’s worth noting that he gave up eight runs on 12 hits and three walks over five innings yesterday against the Rockies. Michael Kirkman is also a possibility for the job. Basically, the Rangers are hoping that they can get by until Colby Lewis is ready to return from elbow surgery. The thought is that there’s no need to break the bank (and give up the draft pick and the corresponding draft pool money) for Lohse if Lewis is only going to miss two months.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)