Mar 23, 2013, 2:31 PM EST
There have been numerous reports downplaying the Rangers’ interest in free agent right-hander Kyle Lohse. But it’s clear that they haven’t completely dismissed him as an option for their rotation.
According to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com, the Rangers sent a scout to watch Lohse throw his latest simulated game at a community college in Arizona. Still, it appears to be a matter of due diligence more than anything else.
As of now, rookie right-hander Nick Tepesch is the favorite for the fifth spot in the Rangers’ rotation, though it’s worth noting that he gave up eight runs on 12 hits and three walks over five innings yesterday against the Rockies. Michael Kirkman is also a possibility for the job. Basically, the Rangers are hoping that they can get by until Colby Lewis is ready to return from elbow surgery. The thought is that there’s no need to break the bank (and give up the draft pick and the corresponding draft pool money) for Lohse if Lewis is only going to miss two months.
Jan 27, 2015, 5:10 PM EST
He hasn’t worked with the Astros since 2010.
Jan 27, 2015, 4:40 PM EST
Crawford requested $3.95 million and the Giants countered at $2.4 million.
Jan 27, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
They’re coming in bunches lately.
Jan 27, 2015, 3:55 PM EST
Tulowitzki is owed $114 million for the next six seasons and Gonzalez is owed $53 million for the next three seasons.
Jan 27, 2015, 2:48 PM EST
Welcome to the future, man.
Jan 27, 2015, 2:22 PM EST
Specifically, a reduction in size of an area of land protected in order to help keep drinking water clean
Jan 27, 2015, 2:01 PM EST
Dyson requested $1.6 million and the Royals countered at $900,000.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:30 PM EST
The league now requires Cuban players to get a much more difficult to obtain clearance to sign than even the federal government requires.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
One Hall of Fame expert argues that Selig should have to cool his heels before waltzing into Cooperstown
Jan 27, 2015, 11:03 AM EST
So long that he’s one of the few GMs who rocked a flip phone after he already had the top job.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:50 AM EST
As of six weeks ago Angels manager Mike Scioscia was telling reporters that the team didn’t expect Garrett Richards back from knee surgery until May.
Jan 27, 2015, 9:54 AM EST
Great Moments in Spring Training Cliches.
Jan 27, 2015, 8:10 AM EST
No, it’s not “because the balls don’t have air inside them in baseball.” Though that is a good point.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:45 PM EST
McGee is expected to begin the season on the disabled list, but he’s hoping to return by late April or early May.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:05 PM EST
Ottavino has quietly been very effective since joining the Rockies in 2012, posting a 3.60 ERA over 179 relief appearances while averaging 9.3 K/9 and 3.3 BB/9.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:01 PM EST
After negotiations with Ryan Vogelsong broke down last week, the Astros are now considering alternatives.
Jan 26, 2015, 9:07 PM EST
Gutierrez has played a grand total of 173 games dating back to 2011 and sat out last season due to a gastrointestinal issue.
Jan 26, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
Avila is making a change in hopes of avoiding future concussions.
Jan 26, 2015, 7:09 PM EST
The announcement comes after the Blue Jays reportedly ended their pursuit of Orioles executive VP Dan Duquette.
Jan 26, 2015, 6:30 PM EST
The 29-year-old hit just .245/.304/.347 with three home runs and nine RBI across 81 games with the Braves last season and was designated for assignment in November.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 35
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 24
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 51
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (88)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)