Mar 23, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
Tim Lincecum gave up five runs in three innings of work against the Oakland Athletics this afternoon, raising his spring ERA to 10.97 and his WHIP to 2.25. Coming off a season in which he finished with a 5.18 ERA in 33 starts, Lincecum’s performance thus far has not given anybody reason for optimism.
CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly reports that neither Lincecum nor his manager are particularly worried, even with a possibility the Giants right-hander joins his team after the regular season begins:
Bochy said Lincecum was “just off today” but didn’t express much outward concern, saying he was encouraged by the right-hander’s previous two outings.
I asked Bochy: Is there a good chance Lincecum could stay back when camp breaks and face minor leaguers rather than pitch against the A’s on Thursday at China Basin?
“We haven’t talked about that,” Bochy said. “Have him throw a bullpen and go back out there. That’s what you do. Today, he was out of sync. It was obvious from the start.”
Fortunately for the Giants, they have two of the better starters in the game in Matt Cain and Madison Bumgarner, so they won’t be set too far behind by Lincecum’s lagging performance. This is an important season for Lincecum as he is eligible for free agency after the season.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 5
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (250)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)