Mar 24, 2013, 10:25 PM EST
If you played Little League baseball as a kid, the sight of Big League Chew wrappers lining the ground inside the dugout is an all too familiar scene. The wrappers, commonly graced with the visages of angry, muscly baseball players, will be getting a facelift. ESPN’s Darren Rovell has the details:
Shredded gum brand Big League Chew will debut national packaging that will feature an active athlete — Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp — instead of the cartoon characters that have existed on more than 500 million pouches since Big League Chew first hit shelves 33 years ago. In June, a picture of Kemp will adorn the front of the gum package.
The brand, through a partnership with PLB Sports, a maker of athlete-endorsed food products, also has signed Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels.
As Sean Manning notes for Esquire, it isn’t the first time Big League Chew has had real players adorn its packaging. Hall of Famers Juan Marichal, Billy Williams, and Brooks Robinson were part of the program for a promotion in the late 1990’s.
- Report: Athletics close to a trade involving Jeff Samardzija 0
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)